Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E3 Finished

Blog Entries

General games E3 Finished

If true some very sad news via Next Gen:

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) shindig has been a staple of game industry life since the mid-1990s. However, we understand the larger exhibitors have jointly decided that the costs of the event do not justify the returns, generally measured in media exposure.

Publishers believe the multi-million dollar budgets would be better spent on more company-focused events that bring attention to their own product lines rather than the industry as a whole.

Well placed sources say the news that larger exhibitors were pulling out had prompted urgent meetings among publishing executives. They decided that, without the support of the larger software publishers and hardware manufacturers, there would be no point in continuing.

ESA president Doug Lowenstein will likely announce the news some time within the next 48 hours, possibly on Monday. It's likely that the ESA will seek to limit the damage by organizing some form of lesser event in May, possibly even with the E3 brand, but this will be no more than a fig-leaf. The days of an industry event attended by all the major publishers, spending big money, are gone.

Calls to ESA staff are not being returned at present.

If true its very sad for the gaming industry.

DCEmu Rookie

Oh my GOD!!
    Dosen't EA, and Co. realize there are starving People
    in Los Vegas, that'll me made homeless by this rather pissy attatude?! ROTFLMFAO!!!

I say good for EA and Co...

oh no i like E3 and now il never hav e a chance to go

bummer

I always wanted to go...

lame really lame

Oh well, sad yes, but i never got the chance to go, and dont think i will be able to, oh well, at least in the next 10 years...lol

anyways, they can still post videos and news online right?, at the same date....so no difference eh?

DCEmu Regular

I went in 1998 and it wasn't really that great. There were some cool exibits, but the lines and the crowd was rediculous. Also what you had to do to get free stuff also sucked. E3 in 1998 was the last one held in Atlanta. Now if I was with the press at the time and was able to get in to see the Dreamcast that was behind closed doors that would've rocked. The only thing good that year was SEGA's booth since they were showing off Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, and Shining Force 3. That was the highlight for me that year. I wish they would continue to do E3, but I can understand the cost of it. The rent at these places is crazy. Even for having a small exibit space.

DCEmu Newbie

okay, fanboyish comment coming up...

I bet the "larger exhibitors" aren't nintendo.

It sounds like a hissy fit from Sony... "If no-ones going to talk to me the FINE, I won't come to this stupid party!!!" followed by "I'm gonna do my own party at MY house and I'm only inviting my BEST friends this time".

These exhibitions encourage competition and drive and give a real insight into what the public likes, of course they are worthwhile.

"company-focused events" with no outside influence, just a load of yes-men, can't be healthy.

Sony should focus on making their next E3 more successful.

That SUCKS! I always look forward to it now it is no more . Well atleast there is still TGS.

I also wanted to go to E3 for years i wouldnt want to go to some $#@!ty sony only or xbox only thing where all you will get is one thing and saying how amazing it is without them having to put on a better show it will be some sad fanboy convension aimed at bumboys who love that specific console.......sad it really is hope they realise there mistake and change there mind

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information