Thread: A little help with NesterDC SE

DCEmu Newbie

Default A little help with NesterDC SE

Alright here's the story. I made NesterDC (the original one) to try it out. Works great but in dragon warrior 3 The game genie codes always stay on. Bothered me and tried everything to get em off, reseting the game resseting the system, erasing my vmu. Nothing worked so I decided to try the NesterDC SE. Burned it put all the files on pics and everything.

Now to my questions. If anyone can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Both emu's work great and never had a problem with freezing ect.

1. NesterDC had a feature which saved games without save states and with them. You could start a game in zelda or Dragon warrior and it would save when you saved in game.

My question is does NesterDC SE do that also or am I just going to have to use save states. I've tried seeing if NesterDC SE will save automaticaly when I save but it doesn't seem to.

2. If possible I would be more than happy with just the NesterDC IF I could get those game genie codes to stop working on my dragon warrior 3. I've tried everything from formatting the vmu to reseting the game and turning off then on the dreamcast, and when I start a new game he's always 999hp ect.

So if any of you know how to remove the codes from working. (I play metroid and the codes are off until I turn them on, then reset and the codes are off again, works perfectly) I've checked the rom on my pc and it does'nt start up w 999, same goes for it starting on the NesterDC SE.

PS. Sorry for the long first post lol. Thanks again in advance!

DCEmu Newbie

BTW, The NesterDC I use is the one where you have to press R+Start to get to the codes screen

1. NesterDC SE does (or should) save your game automatically, so long as there is space to save. It will always save to the first VMU available (Controller Port A, VMU slot 1; continues down the line if no VMU is found). It doesn't give you any indication about it, however, which is one of my main issues with the emulator.

2. That's extremely strange. I've always found the original NesterDC's game genie support to be difficult to tell whether or not it's on or off. You've formatted the VMU, so it couldn't possibly be an SRAM file. Extremely odd.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Runefox
    1. NesterDC SE does (or should) save your game automatically, so long as there is space to save. It will always save to the first VMU available (Controller Port A, VMU slot 1; continues down the line if no VMU is found). It doesn't give you any indication about it, however, which is one of my main issues with the emulator.

2. That's extremely strange. I've always found the original NesterDC's game genie support to be difficult to tell whether or not it's on or off. You've formatted the VMU, so it couldn't possibly be an SRAM file. Extremely odd.
    1. Well the thing is this, I've got 2 sega brand vmu in controler 1, and I usualy leave controler 2 unhooked. I've tried these things to see if it will save automaticaly.

(Started a Zelda game, Made a save state, got dager then proceeded to die, saved, reset the game, my save wasnt there, the save state on the other had was. I've tried this on several games, namly dragon warrior's and zelda.I formatted the vmu before I first put in the NesterDC SE the first time so as not to confuse the NesterDC w the NesterDC SE)

2. Yeh I know! It's been killing me! lol. I used metroid as the example. I tried the dragon warrior 3 and it started and when he wakes up he's maxed out. Did everything stated earlier and when it didn't work I was worried.
    Sooo as a result I went into metroid (in which I had used codes earlier. No Less than 30 life thing. Hit hit and hit and I was dead. So it wasnt stuck. Then I put the code in. Hit Hit hit and I was losing and regaining life like the code intended. Reset metroid and the code was no longer in so that worked like I assume it should.

I Checked the DW3 rom I loaded on the nester with my computer emulator and it didnt start maxed out.

I Reset the whole consol, I tried reseting the game, I tried formatting the vmu, everything. It's got me crazy lol.

I actually have to confirm the save bug. I played through a bit of Dragon Warrior 4, and when I was done for the day, I even chose the option "Save SRAM to VMU" before quitting. Next day, started it up and there's no saves there. No savestate, no SRAM save, no nothing. So this I can confirm.

It does, however, save options.

Intentional double-post: After contacting Scherzo, he confirmed that it is, indeed, a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Scherzo at Scherzo's Domain
    I doubt you're missing anything. The saving is pretty self-explanatory. It probably just doesn't work sometimes and I need to determine why.

Thread Information