Thread: Video Gamers Have Power Over Their Dreams

Blog Entries

Default Video Gamers Have Power Over Their Dreams

Live Science reports that researchers say playing video games before bedtime may give gamers an unusual level of awareness and control in their dreams which could provide an edge when fighting nightmares or even mental trauma. 'If you're spending hours a day in a virtual reality, if nothing else it's practice,' says Jayne Gackenbach, a psychologist at Grant MacEwan University in Canada who says that hard core gamers represent the leading edge of immersion in virtual worlds that increasingly has come to define a large part of contemporary entertainment and communication. 'Gamers are used to controlling their game environments, so that can translate into dreams.' One intriguing theory holds that dreams are a sort of threat simulation where nightmares help organisms hone their skills in a protective environment, and ideally prepare organisms for a real-life situation. To test that theory, Gackenbach conducted a study using independent assessments that coded threat levels in after-dream reports and found that gamers experienced less or even reversed threat simulation (in which the dreamer became the threatening presence), with fewer aggression dreams overall. In other words, a scary nightmare scenario turned into something 'fun' for a gamer.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/0...r-Their-Dreams

I dream about shagging beautiful women

Blog Entries

It's true, because I never wakeup from what was once considered a nightmare. My mind continues it's path, which is usually the next dream segment.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

I used to have halo dream all the time....

Few months ago I had the weirdest dream ever, I was some kind of spy, part of a special ops team and i could perform ninjutsu. LOL it was awesome.

Weirdest part is that I was on some sort of crossroad, took a path, died, respawned and took the other path haha

Thread Information