Thread: NPD: “Extreme Gamers” Spend 48 Hours A Week Playing Games

Blog Entries

General games NPD: “Extreme Gamers” Spend 48 Hours A Week Playing Games

The segment of “extreme gamers” represents 4% of the entire American gaming population. This is the first fact that stands out from the NPD Group’s Gamer Segmentation 2010 report.

The report categorizes the different kinds of gamers into seven different groups: Extreme Gamers, Avid PC Gamers, Heavy Portable Gamers, Console Gamers, Online PC Gamers, Offline PC Gamers, and Secondary Gamers. Compared to the extreme segment, Avid PC Gamers account for 11% of the gaming population, while Offline PC Gamers account for 9%. The average age of both these segments is 42 years.

Surprised at the 4% figure? Don’t be. According to NPD research, “extreme gamers” game for a whopping 48.5 hours per week on average — significantly higher than the overall gaming population’s average playtime of 13 hours per week.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/05/27...playing-games/

DCEmu Newbie

Wow.. I feel so lucky when I have 30 consecutive minutes..

48 hours is just... sad.. Although I probably could have done that back when Return to Castle Wolfenstein came out.

Playing for 7 hours or more a day if you have a job and a spouse / significant other is pretty unlikely. I have 8 potential hours a day to play games on a work day. Most of which I'm eating / relaxing / spending time with my girlfriend. Sometimes I'd love to log at least 40+ hours but it doesn't happen unless you neglect important aspects of life. Then again there are a few times I logged 30 - 40 hours in a week. But that was with like two days of hard gaming. 8 - 12 hours for two days consecutive, then some hours on a few other days. But like I said, you can't do that "all the time" unless you have little to no life. I guess that would make you "extreme" though.
    Last edited by NeoXCS; May 28th, 2010 at 09:01.

DCEmu Newbie

i suppose the study had more numbers...there are 7 categories and only three have numbers...and how many people where sampled? cause according to the study 20% are 42 on average...not sure about that

True that is odd, the age being 42 "averaged". I know tons and tons of PC gamers, very few of which are in their 40's. I know some, but they have been gaming for a long time now.

Thread Information