via Computer and Video Games

Enslaved developer, Ninja Theory would've made Heavenly Sword 2, but Sony owns the IP and technology.

That's according to studio boss Tameem Antoniades, who told CVG that motivation to go multi-format - and the fact it made no money from Heavenly Sword - meant parting ways with the series.

"I don't know if Sony made any money on Heavenly Sword but we didn't," he said, adding that the studio's survival meant it had to quit being PS3 exclusive.

"There are pros and cons, if you're exclusive you get more attention but when you're multi-platform, at this stage in the cycle, there's more competition. You've got to weigh it against each other," he added.

"But we couldn't do Heavenly Sword 2 as a multi-platform because it's owned by Sony, the tech we developed for that game is also owned by Sony."

Would Ninja Theory of done it? "Probably, I think we would have," said Antoniades.

"But there's a different dynamic with a platform holder. I mean, we signed up and we happy to sign up to it because it allowed our studio to grow and we're really grateful for that, but it feels like as a studio we need to think about the next few years, the next games we release.

"We want them to be multi-platform so we had to come up with a new idea."