Thread: DCEmu Asks - What Do you think of 3D Games and Movies?

Blog Entries

Home/News DCEmu Asks - What Do you think of 3D Games and Movies?

The last time i went to watch a 3D movie i think was when Jaws3D was on at the cinema, it was reasonably decent, but nowadays the big companies want us to buy 3D tvs and now consoles with 3D Capabilities are also coming out, do you think its another fad or will it be the big new thing like motion control was for the Wii when it was first released ?

DCEmu Regular

I love going to the cinema and watching a 3D movie, it really enhances the experience for some movies. But bringing it into the home just seems pointless. There's some of these new 3D cinema movies that really don't even need 3D, and after 2 hours of the movie, my eyes start to hurt.

The same applies to most everything in our home, I don't need to watch my favorite TV show or the new COD game in 3D either. I know you can just turn it off after awhile but how much enjoyable experience will you actually get from it?

Have they even really checked the health issues associated with staring at 3D TV's for prolonged amounts of time? That's got to play tricks on your brain after awhile and your eyesight. You already have people who play video games most of the day, one of these people will probably use 3D eventually.

The fact that they want us to believe that 3D is "the future" (and of course, the fact that some people BELIEVE IT), is really sad, and infuriating.
    And somehow, both games and movies have gotten (even more) crappier ever since 3D became "in" and "trendy".

It might be "better" now but it still works the same as in the 80's and that was a fad that died out, the only difference now is there's more money behind it pushing the idea in our faces hoping that it sticks. If it leads to proper 3DTV then i fully support anyone who wants to pump their money into it for future development, but unless i get a 120" tv to enjoy the experience it all means nothing to me.

DCEmu Rookie

it doesn't work how it did in the 80's, it's a lot more complex now that it was back then, that is why the glasses cost about £100+ (due to mechanical components in them) instead of a pair of glasses with a red and blue pane on your eyes.

it is good now but until they find a way to remove the glasses from the equation I don't see it taking off fully, the 3DS and other mobile 3D devices are a step in the right direction but it is going to be a long time before they get anywhere with this.

What i mean is even though the technology is better you still sit there with a pair of glassess and the basic experience hasn't changed in 30 years, as soon as those glasses are taken out the equation you can count me in.

DCEmu Rookie

I'm the same opinion on the glasses, they are the only thing stopping me really looking at it.

DCEmu Rookie

Really though the glasses aren't that bad. They weren't with the red/blue in the 80's and aren't now. The only problem I have with them is they make the whole picture darker. If the 3DS can go glassless then televisions will follow. But I would much rather have a projector than an LCD doing 3D. My only real complaint about the whole thing is the cost of going to a 3D movie in the theaters. I can't justify the cost of a non-3D first run movie let alone a first run 3D movie. Of course first run movies are fun to go to, but aren't any less fun at the cheap seats 2 months or so later. And I do enjoy my Epson Projector on a 300 inch screen at home as well.

I personally can't see what is all that hype about 3D movies, I prefer the "traditional format".

On games there's only the 3DS which is coming out until next year unlike the new Xbox 360 (way to go Microsoft)

I'm planning to get one, not for the 3D stuff but for the games, remake of Ocarina of time, remake of Starfox 64, Paper Mario, even Kid Icarus looks nice.

So yeah I don't care much for 3D movies or games, it's just a trend and I hope it will die soon

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Seen the Flag ship 3D film avatar in the cinema, and was not really brothered (actually wanted to take the glasses of about half way though).

so yeah 3D TV/Gaming = fail for me.

Thread Information