Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Gamecube rumor returns briefly

Blog Entries

GC Portable Gamecube rumor returns briefly

For several minutes, in fact. Earlier today, IGN's Matt Casamassina posted an article that served to round up several wily Wii rumors, including the usual price ($229) and launch date (2 Nov. or 12 Nov.) suspects. More interesting, however, was the indication given by mysterious sources that IBM was in the process of shrinking and slowing down the Wii's Broadway chip for a "future Nintendo handheld -- presumably one that plays Gamecube discs."

Before the rumor managed to fully set in and plunge the masses into unyielding seizures of delight, the article was promptly pulled from the site and replaced by a decidedly unhelpful update. "At the request of our sources, who do not wish to go to jail this week, we have temporarily removed the Wii rumors piece that was posted earlier." Apparently, the oppressive and joyless Nintendo police were none too pleased with people blabbering about portable Gamecubes to IGN. When the article reappeared, all mention of it had been removed, spirited away to some great rumor recycle bin (send our love to the holographic projector).

Perhaps that's all there is to this story -- there is no portable Gamecube and the article's editing serves no purpose other than to make it more accurate. Of course, when an article is admittedly based entirely on whispered secrets and industry murmurings, why yank it just to edit out one rumor in particular? Or could it be another high-larious prank devised by Matt's IGN pals? Time will tell, though we'd rather it be an impatient and stocky time attending the Leipzig Games Convention.

Screen Via Comments

Damn, I would pay a lot for one of those.

Blog Entries

cool, it's like a GameBoy Advance SP thou but better cause it plays GameCube games...

...Nintendo should release this as not only would it keep the dying GameCube market going (if not already completely dead) but it would also compete with the psp in the handheld market giving Nintendo a 2 against 1 advantage PortableGC + DS -vs- PSP

amazing. I want one!

you guys do know the picture is a mock up dont you?
    i agree it would be cool but i think it may be a while before we see anything like this for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Anger
    you guys do know the picture is a mock up dont you?
    i agree it would be cool but i think it may be a while before we see anything like this for real.
    yeah, maybe you are right. I hope to see more pics.

Ben Heck created a real portable 360. I think it's cooler and more impressive than a portable Gamecube, but still cool nonetheless.

aye the things that have been crammed into a portable case from standard parts is truly amazing. everything from a dreamcast to a ps2. dont know if it was the same guy that did them all but still, amazing.

King of killed the_eternal_dark's Avatar

This mock-up looks too bulky, I'd say if it were to be real, Nintendo wouldn't make a mistake like using a disk reading drive like the PSP, they kill batteries. Nintendo may have something else planned for a successor to the DS, something insane, maybe better than a GC.

Canada, Ruler of Patriarch of Constantinople and Vicar of the Hagia Sofia

what, you mean like the wii

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information