Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sony Struggles To Define the PSP

Blog Entries

psp Sony Struggles To Define the PSP

Via Slashdot

Brian Crecente has a piece over on the Rocky Mountain site talking about Sony's struggle to make the PSP stand out. The failure of the UMD format, its de-emphasis as a media player, and the lackluster stable of games leaves PSP owners wondering exactly what to use it for. From the article:
    "While digital media is a key focus for Sony Computer Entertainment right now, the company is also working to expand other elements of the portable as well. In November, the PlayStation 3 will launch with built in PSP support. While [PSP Marketing Manager John] Koller wouldn't discuss specifics, he did say that the PlayStation Portable will be a 'remote control device' for the next-gen console. He says more details about that connectivity will be coming out in the coming months, perhaps at the Tokyo Game Show next month."

i dont think using the psp as remote control for the ps3 is a good idea. its like your playing GTA on ps3 and you need to look at the psp to change outfits or whatever. you change outfit and by the time you look up someone jacked your car the ps3 came with a controller for a reason...

Well...If they would've welcomed homebrew in the first place, they wouldn't be "struggling"...bad call $ONY.

Built in PSP connectivity in the PS3 is great. But the PSP has failed in being a "stand out" multimedia device. If anyone is contemplating getting a PSP these days, its because of the now great game library.

Yes thats right, I'm sick of people describing PSP games as "lackluster". Yes, they were at first and for a while. But PSP games have gotten increasingly better and continue to do so. Some even measure up to or surpass console counterparts.

While the Nintendo DS may be more unique and provide a different kind of gaming experience, the PSP is the most powerful portable gaming device to ever hit the market.

Perhaps this is why Sony is developing the PSOne EMU. Who cares about UMD video. If UMD games continue to be as good as they have been lately combined with a good PSOne EMU, and finally PS3 interoperability, the PSP will finally prove its worth as the definitive handheld gaming solution.

With that positive outlook expressed, I cannot avoid attacking Sony's failure to make the PSP a better multimedia device.

1.) No internal built in storage solution. We have to buy EXPENSIVE memory cards limited in capacity.

2.) The PSP offers a 480x272 resolution screen but yet Sony limits us to 320x240.

3.) Its built in speakers SUCK. So using this for MP3's with a headset is just not as practical as using an iPod.

4.) There is no download service to work with the PSP. Apple already had a fruitful iTunes service before their newest iPod's hit the market. The PSP had no such service and still doesn't.

I could go on, but you all get the point. I think Sony has been trying to do too much in one time and they have not spent the time and effort to make their product stand out.

I am optimistic about the PSP's future. Things could go better if Sony plays its cards right.

DCEmu Newbie

Emulation alone is enough for me.. pity though that memory sticks are expensive compared to SD/MMC's. Isn't there a DIY SD/MMC -> MS converter somewhere?

its a homebrew portable emulator. they just dont want to admit it.

DCEmu Newbie

it may be a while before sony can convince me to invest more money in my psp, im stickin with homebrew.

not a single game, memory stick, umd nothing!

I mean, i didnt buy my psp with the idea of using it solely for homebrew, but honestly, they need to get their act together.

everyone loves there psp .this talk here is crazy talk

i know a guy who never ever uses his and he still
    loves it ,i cant figure that one out ill admit

how can you say its not a stand out device?
    shiite man show me a standout multimedia
    device .seriously if theres something even
    close to psp standoutness ill agree with ya.

the psp as a ps2 remote is just retarded
    i have 2 ps2, 2 xboxs and atleast one
    working psone ,and why would i need this
    feature to use with any .universal remote
    Uhh, hell yeah now that would be nice (yeah
    i know about the homebrew ,never got it
    to work). how long does sony want the hype
    to last ?true hype but old

Quote Originally Posted by snkrock25
    it may be a while before sony can convince me to invest more money in my psp, im stickin with homebrew.

not a single game, memory stick, umd nothing!

I mean, i didnt buy my psp with the idea of using it solely for homebrew, but honestly, they need to get their act together.
    This brings to mind an interesting irony. People have obvious gripes about the PSP and Sony's plan for it. So lets take a look at some of the things we can do with the PSP that Sony has failed to give us:

1.) If not happy with the PSP library of games, homebrew gives us a vast assortment of emulators to allow playing of great games.

2.) Sony has failed to utilize the PSP's built in WiFi so homebrew has provided us WiFi Internet Radio, instant messaging, ftp computer connectivity, and more.

3.) Sony keeps us very limited in storage solutions so homebrew has given us ways to store homebrew and more on our PC's and stream to the PSP via WiFi & USB.

4.) Sony prevents us from using the PSP's full resolution so homebrew has given us PMP Mod & PMP Mod to give us full 480x272 resolution.

Those are just a few expamples. Basically, at this point it can be safe to say that homebrew has made the PSP magnificent. Not Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by r2works
    its a homebrew portable emulator. they just dont want to admit it.

lol. my thoughts exactly, plus video playback - which keeps me entertained on roadtrips etc, plus the photo viewer, plus the web browsing capabilities, plus the firmware emulator with loading capabilites *wink.

thats what i been using it for since day one. is sony reading this?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information