Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *Updated* MapThis WIFI updateing tutorial

Post *Updated* MapThis WIFI updateing tutorial

Well you have probably seen the 2 threads about the gps map viewer for the psp that Deniska is currently working hard on. As requested i will this thread will be made for everyone to understand the WIFI map update option in MapThis. Basically it will be the same way as getting started fresh.

Thing you will need are the following.
    • MapThis *I will make a link when it is released*
    • Wifi already setup.
    • A big enough memory stick that has enough empty space, I will talk about map size below.
    • Patients
    Ok here are the steps with step detail.

1. First of course you need to install MapThis, if you have not done so do so now.
    A. When you download MapThis if you go to the maps folder you will see a zip file called _GLOBAL_MAP.zip you wanna leave this alone, it the map you will get your lad and long from. Its only 3.21mb its can be read as zip so leave it in the maps folder.

2. Before you launch MapThis you need to go to the PSP power saving settings and turn off the wifi power saver, i will tell you why this is needed later.

3. Now start MapThis, when its loaded you will see the main screen with basic selection options, first there is the list of map folders in the map folder. we put _GLOBAL_MAP in the map folder so you should see that on the list, under that you will see === WIFI MAP UPLOAD ===. at this point make sure your wifi switch is off or the psp will not receive data from the gps unit. then highlight global map and press X.

4. this will load the whole world map the zoom level is not detailed as you will only use this as a long lad finder for your location. *also note that when you have the map being read from the zip file the map loads/reads slower for obvious reasons.*

5. press square to activate the gps on..........you should now see a red arrow pointing in the general spot of your location.

6 press the select button one time to return to the main menu. *in doing steps 4 and 5 you have stored your location in the system and when you do wifi update it will know where your at and the map to be updated*

7. now your at the main menu, go to wifi update you should see this

MAP NAME - You can change the name of this to the name of your city if you like.
    LATITUDE - Don't change this it will not update the right map if you do.
    LONGITUDE - Don't change this it will not update the right map if you do.
    BASE ZOOM - I will update this line when i get the full idea of it, its to do with the zoom level.
    MAP SIZE - This is how big you want your map to be when its done. I liked having a big map with 5 zoom level but it took a while to get. so leave it on 16.

8. Turn the wifi switch on and then press start, you should see the program do its thing it will look kinda like this when it start after connections.
    LOADING 0 OUT OF 336
    LOADING 1 OUT OF 336
    when its done just press select and you will be back to the menu to pick that map, *turn the wifi switch off*

9. After you enter the map again just press square to turn the gps on, and your set.

in the progarm when you press start it will give you a screen that will tell you whet all the buttons can do, here is the buttons and what they do to detail, if you need any help please ask don't get your self lost on something easy,

square - to enable disable the gps mode
    triangle - to enable disable the attractions *if some are set*
    circle - to pick the type of attractions you want to be show
    cross - to select things
    up - to zoom the map in
    down - to move the map out
    left - this will only be used if you want to recored your long lad of a trip that you took it will store the numbers in a file and later on you can play that file from MapThis and it will show you how you went on your trip, basically like an instant reply
    right - this is used to enable disable the map turner, for example when this mode is on off the map will always be fixed and will not turn only the red arrow will move around on the map, when this mode is on it will fix the red arrow and move the map so that way your always moveing up and you don't have to move the psp to make it match the way the road goes, its a nice handy option

10. Explore with the options till the next how to, its not to hard its pretty simple to use.

i will update this or make a new one later on when MapThis is out and people ask more questions but i think i covered it all, sorry if its to long and to detailed but i hate to post 2 time cuz someone didn't understand the info you gave, so this should be lots of info

*edit*
    i fixed updated some info

this looks really cool

Cool! thanks a lot...

Thanks...
    Looks good!

A few corrections...
    You don't really need to extract the global map file - you can use the zippped version, but it will work a bit slower...
    I don't thin it's 42MB it should be ~4MB...

thanks guys

deniska i will look into the new veryson later today, i never knew u can use the maps when they zipped up thats nice. i will update everything later

*edit* updated

Quote Originally Posted by seesoe

Do we really need so many decimals for the LAT/LON definitions?

Since I don’t have the program I decided to play around with the Linux scripts... don't know what I'm doing wrong but can't get to the street level in the cities I'm interested for now (Oporto and Lisbon, Portugal) also tried Paris (for testing purposes only) and didn't get the right data also...

With your coordinates (39.918159/-75.162964/2/16) it was a clean shot...

Can’t figure it out... the only thing I can remember is that the coordinates I found on the net might not be as accurate as necessary…

u can retrieve your coords from google maps.. click on show url and the latitude and longitude will be displayed in the url..

Quote Originally Posted by lewbacca
    u can retrieve your coords from google maps.. click on show url and the latitude and longitude will be displayed in the url..
    thanks for the tip... couldn't find "show url" you're talking about but manage to see my coord's over "link to this page"

But, even with that coord's I cant get to street level like I do with a regular google map.
    My coords are: 41.178331/-8.627529 for Oporto and 38.728108/-915277 for Lisbon, couldn't mange to get any map from those

Well continuing with the tests I found out that I can retrieve from UK (London) but not from Paris or Oporto or Lisbon! Anyone can figure this out?!? and there is an offset from the coordinates I put from the ones I get (comparison with google)

I noticed that the google version in the scripts is a bit older(v2.12), could be it?

well I point out to London and I get Uckfield (south of London; zoom 2 and 16 fields)

@lewbacca
    You're from Germany right? I've also tried Bremen (for instance...) coords but with no success! Have you tried to get the maps with success for Germany?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information