Thread: Cell Phone Gaming Soars as Consoles and Handhelds Sputter

General games Cell Phone Gaming Soars as Consoles and Handhelds Sputter

via iSuppli

Traditional handheld games consoles are in decline with 1m fewer devices produced this year compared to 2009.

The drop has been attributed to the rise in popularity of mobile phones equipped to play games and other forms of entertainment.

Research shows handheld consoles will decline 2.5 per cent to 38.9m this year down from 39.9m in 2009, according to market research firm Isuppli.

In comparison factory shipments of mobile phones are forecasted to reach 1.27bn in 2010 – up 11.4 per cent from last year’s 1.14bn orders.

Consumer electronics analyst for Isuppli Pamela Tufegdzic said: “The formidable lead enjoyed by mobile phones capable of gaming will continue in the years to come with no hint of decline.

“Their near-universal presence gives them the potential to become a viable competitive threat to dedicated gaming platforms – primarily handheld devices.”
    Tufegdzic added: “Although gamers who prefer a superior gaming experience will always opt for either a console or handheld, sales of both platforms tend to rise and fall based on the vagaries of product development, consumer buying patterns and economic trends.”

The firm also says units of home consoles will total 52.3m this year, a small rise of 0.2 per cent year-on-year. It expects Move and Kinect to cushion its anticipated decline of console shipments next year, and for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo to launch next-gen consoles in late 2010.

DCEmu Newbie

Default this is a slight wake up call

i want a psp phone d*****!!!
    Last edited by trigazer; August 13th, 2010 at 13:28. Reason: came across new info

Blog Entries

Games for phones are cheap and easy to buy. I know have bought literally tons of them simply for that reason. I know that seems stupid and it is.

No...

The reason handheld consoles may have dropped slightly is because they're quite old. Bearing in mind the DS' successor has been announced, I would have expected an even larger drop in sales.

I highly doubt there's much of a crossover in who is buying DS and PSP games, and games for the iPhone and such. The games are nothing alike, for one, and the target markets are clearly miles apart.

There is 1 simple and overwhelming reason handheld sales are slipping. Over the years peoples expectations of mobile devices have changed from a load of dedicated devices to do the best job to wanting their phone to do everything and just accepting it's limitations against dedicated devices, i mean the iPhone just proves the eventual deaths of gaming only devices, and Sony looks like they getting the idea by testing the possibility of a Psp2/Android combo, i know some people will stubbornly and blindly think they will never die but it is 100% certain current console formats are nearing their end.

It doesnt suprise me the way the cell phone companies are constantly pushing a newer and better model seemingly every week or two.Theyre all fighting to make the coolest phone with the most features because they know people will drool over them,its just good marketing,they know what theyre doing.

I personally couldnt care less about a smart phone,I have an ancient lg flip phone which i use for making....phone calls.

EDIT:and a psp,so maybe I am a bit biased but everyone has their own preference.
    Last edited by wizzardofozzy; August 15th, 2010 at 00:27.

Thread Information