Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS JailBreak - World's FIRST PS3 modchip

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

ps3 PS JailBreak - World's FIRST PS3 modchip

*NOTE: We at DCEmu do not condone piracy. We are merely posting news. We do not take responsibility for any damages to your consoles and/or games and any legal actions brought upon you.

It seems as if the PS3 has been hacked with a new commercial USB Device called the 'PS Jailbreak'. This is like a 'HD Loader' which will allow owners to dump all original PS3 games onto a FAT32 hard drive and play the game entirely from there (similar to that of how the Wii is with its USB Loaders). This seems to turn your PS3 into a DEBUG unit hence this is why it works. But of course, in order for it to work, it may be using illegal codes from the PS3 SDK. It is said that the PS Jailbreak will run games 2x faster than Blu-ray, support homebrew and will be fully updateable. Before you jump up for joy...this little USB dongle retails for $170AUD ($150USD). Still want it? Also, this method can be squashed instantly with an update to firmware even though its said to be updateable (if they can find a method around Sony's blocked method - only time will tell).

* PS Jailbreak is a USB plug and play solution that installs in seconds, keeping your valid warranty seal in tact.

* Easy to use installer and GUI takes you step by step.
    Compatible with all production models FAT and SLIM. Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA

* PS Jailbreak disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.
    Supports all games (it does not allow backups of blu-ray movies, dvd movies, or past consoles games)

* Backup games to your internal hard drive or external hard drive through USB, and boot directly off GUI. Eliminating the need for expensive blu-ray burners and costly blank media.
    Play backups off your hard drives 2x as fast as off the blu-ray drive. This eliminates lags and glitches to provide you with smoother game play.

* Open up your console to a new generation of homebrew applications. Load homebrew apps/games off any USB hard drive/flash drive.

* Fully updateable with new features/updates by connecting PS Jailbreak to any computers USB port.

FAQ:
    Q: What firmware version does PS JailBreak it work on?
    A. It apparently works on a couple of old firmware verisons, but it was designed for the latest firmware version 3.41

Q. Does PS Jailbreak allow you to dump ps2 games, ps1 game, Blu ray movies?
    A. No, just PS3 games.

Q. Does PS JailBreak allow every game to work?
    A. Apparently 150 games have been tested, and they all work. If a game happens to have 1 file over 4gb the program will not be able to rip the game onto the harddrive. Apparently the worl around is to dump it on an internal hardrive

Q. Can I still play online with PS Jailbreak?
    A. When today (19.08.2010) you can, we can't guarantee you will never be banned for using the 3rd party device.

Q. Can Sony block this with firmware updates?
    A. Probably. The have have the USb dongle firmware upgradable, but you can never predict the future. This is made to work with 3.41. If you happen to download an install an update which is higher then this then it is your doing. We will not accept stock back as "faulty" if you have upgraded your firmware.

Source: PS JailBreak

Images via comments
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Me likey this a lot... But i'll wait for the inevitable Chinese knock-off for a fraction of this cost, once it gets to $30 i'll make my move.

So, what are the chances of getting a utility to remove the PS2 & DVD region-locks? That's all I care about.

This turns it into a debug unit which can run unsigned code, so pretty much anything could happen once the devs get a hold of this.

The most important thing for me is whether this allows homebrew with full access to the system, i don't have a Ps3 yet and my 360 just sits gathering dust because i'm not that bothered about proper 360 games and can't downgrade the kernel to jtag, if this can at least match my old floorbreaker Xbox 1 then the future's looking mighty good.

Blog Entries

just imagine what homebrew should be possible on a PS3, dreamcast, sega saturn emulators at full speed ?

DCEmu Newbie

Default hope this is true and hope this is how it happened

some kid sent ps3 for repair and when it was shipped back to him there was this usb type device still plugged in by sony engineers ...........you know where in going.............that would be so funny:thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    just imagine what homebrew should be possible on a PS3, dreamcast, sega saturn emulators at full speed ?
    Indeed. I understand that the 360 has a slow homebrew scene because the JTAG hack was a bit complicated, but something this simple and compatible could start a great homebrew scene.

With NullDC's source code available, I wonder what we'll see in the future.

I am also excited about the prospect of this as a means of backing up my games. I am going to University in about a months time, and would love to be able to back up all my games to a single HDD, rather then having to take all my disks and boxes. Also, this will stop people from stealing my games :P

I'm also excited by the prospect of a PS3 homebrew community which could be born from this. I miss the glory days of the PSP hacking and homebrew scene, and hope to one day relive it with a whole new platform. The possibilities are endless. XBMC, SNES, Genesis, N64, Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, MAME etc, all from one machine? Hell yeah, the PS3 just got awesome.

However, at that price point, I don't see this going far. Sony will update the firmware, and squash this thing out flat I think. Lets just hope someone reverse engineers it like the Pandora battery and makes it so we can make our own USB dongles.

lv0 would have to be updated to patch this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information