Thread: EA`s Retro Collection Detailed

Blog Entries

psp EA`s Retro Collection Detailed

Via Gamespot

Publishers like Capcom, Sega, Midway, Taito, and Namco have been offering retro-themed compilations for years on a variety of platforms. However, the biggest third-party publisher of them all, Electronic Arts, has generally shied away from the practice, other than a few offerings such as the recent Command & Conquer: The First Decade collection.

That might be changing, if a new GameStop product listing is accurate. According to the retailer, Electronic Arts is jumping into the retro trend headfirst with EA Replay for the PSP. Slated for release October 3 with a price tag of $29.99, the compilation will let players relive 14 of the publisher's back-catalog offerings, including fondly remembered hits like Syndicate, Ultima VII: The Black Gate, Road Rash, Wing Commander, and Jungle Strike. Some of the games will support head-to-head multiplayer action, all will be playable in widescreen or normal views, and all of them will allow players to save their games at any time. The site even says it will include unlockable game art.

The full list of games listed for the compilation is included below, along with their first release dates and systems. Given the difficulties inherent in porting a keyboard-and-mouse control scheme to PSP, it is likely that the compilation would feature shrunken-down versions of the games' console versions, so those are the dates and systems given below.

B.O.B.--1993--SNES and Genesis
    Budokan--1990--Genesis
    Desert Strike--1993--SNES and Genesis
    Jungle Strike--1993--SNES and Genesis
    Haunting Starring Polterguy--1993--Genesis
    Mutant League Football--1993--Genesis
    Road Rash--1992--Genesis, later on 3DO
    Road Rash II--1993--Genesis
    Road Rash III--1995--Genesis
    Syndicate--1995--SNES, 3DO, Jaguar
    Ultima: The Black Gate--1994--SNES
    Virtual Pinball--1993--Genesis
    Wing Commander--1993--SNES
    Wing Commander: The Secret Missions--1993--SNES

As long as I get to hear those flaming peds scream in syndicate I'll be happy, what? was I the only one?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawq
    As long as I get to hear those flaming peds scream in syndicate I'll be happy, what? was I the only one?
    Ur not the only one. ^_^

Although I have never tried a console version of Syndicate, only the PC version.

looks like a nice set o games. i think ill pass this one up though.

Hmm, these console ports are very unimpressive. If EA had released these games as a collection of emulated PC/Amiga/computer games, this would have been a HUGE instant hit.

As it stands, Electronic Arts should continue to shy away from this "retro-collections" practice until they stir up some collection much more worthwhile....

Next.

DCEmu Newbie

Oh no... it's just console version, right? My hopes is crashed ...
    (...still looking for good Dos emulation, speed isn't prior at all, many strategies & classic RPG be playable in auround 10 fps... and... where C&C at PSP?)

Thread Information