Thread: Nintendo patent reveals hot voice-recognition plans

Blog Entries

NDS Nintendo patent reveals hot voice-recognition plans

Nintendo Wii and DS games could soon feature an intriguing voice-recognition system that can read and analyse your speech.

Analysed text can be displayed as text on other players' consoles during multiplayer games with the tone of your voice altering the colour, size and font of the text, according to a US patent held by Nintendo.

As you speak, the system picks up on your voice pattern - shout "I WIN!" and it will appear in big red capital letters; whisper and it'll be much smaller and in a more subdued colour. The patent, issued in February, has surfaced after an IGN forumite claimed to know of Nintendo's plans to use a system called 'voice-to-text communication' in its games.

It's unclear whether these plans are primarily for Wii games, but the forum poster also claims that "some peripherals for DS will be compatible with Wii and vice versa," suggesting good compatibility between the two consoles.

hopefully it will be good voice recognition, not crappy like where you "OWNED" and it recognizes it as "teacup" I've had that happen to me lol

Wonder if a remake of the old Takeshis Challenge (or was it Castle) game is planned, that apparantly had a stage where you had to sing into the famicom 2's controller mike for about an hour

This is just another fun and interactive idea from Nintendo.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Hawq
    Wonder if a remake of the old Takeshis Challenge (or was it Castle) game is planned, that apparantly had a stage where you had to sing into the famicom 2's controller mike for about an hour

Wait wait wait, isn't Takashi's Castle better known and falsly dubbed in america under the name MXC?

They had a GAME for that $#@!?
    AWESOME.

DCEmu Newbie

Odama had very good voice recognition with dozends of commands you could give to your troops.
    I wonder why this title hasn't been ported to the DS yet.

Good job nintendo,keep up the good work in the innovation dept!
    My faith in nintendo has been rekindled,after the lackluster cube performance.Don't get me wrong I loved some the games for the cube,but there weren't enough of them.I was really dissapointed with mario sunshine,and I'm a big fan of mario.

Quote Originally Posted by Talka1ot
    Wait wait wait, isn't Takashi's Castle better known and falsly dubbed in america under the name MXC?

They had a GAME for that $#@!?
    AWESOME.
    It sems so, the MXC one from what I just looked at on the wiki had a comdeic dub put on it so possibly something like the way its treated over here, the game apparantly was quite evil at times with a final boss that took about 20,000 hits to kill, at the games fire rate about 3 hours of work. Needles to say I want in some twisted way to try this in an emulator sometime even though the singing bit will be impossible.

Thread Information