Thread: Commodore USA announces the PC64, an Atom-powered PC in a replica Commodore case

Blog Entries

retro Commodore USA announces the PC64, an Atom-powered PC in a replica Commodore case

We have a fondness for Commodore computers (as you've probably noticed by now) and we are psyched that Commodore USA is still flying the flag for the once-ubiquitous brand, but as they always are in this biz, things are a little... complicated. We were first contacted way back in March when the company shared the news that it had acquired the rights to sell PCs under the name. Then what happened? Turns out this was not exactly the case... although CEO Barry Altman assured us that they were on their way towards hammering out a deal. And here we are, in possession of a press release saying that indeed, Commodore USA, LLC, and Commodore Licensing B.V. have finally come to an agreement, meaning that your subsequent purchases will at least come with a Commodore decal. But that ain't all! This also paves the way for the company's newest offering, the Commodore PC64, an Intel Atom-powered PC featuring 4GB DDR3 memory, SATA 1TB HDD, HDMI output, optical drive (either DVD/CD or optional Blu-ray), and more -- all in "an exact replica" of the original beige C64 chassis. Of course, doing any significant amount of work with the original Commodore keyboard will probably be a challenge, but we like to think we're up to it. As always, we'll believe it when we see it, but in the meantime we'd like to be the first to formally request a review unit. If everything goes according to plan, this bad boy should be out in time for the holidays.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/26/c...c-in-a-replic/

DCEmu Newbie

Um, cool? I don't know, I think my C64's are screaming in anguish or something.

Just hope it comes with C64 Forever.

DCEmu Regular

I was never a big C64 fan, but that's a really cool idea. It's pretty crazy that Commodore is doing it themselves too.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopKatt View Post
    I was never a big C64 fan, but that's a really cool idea. It's pretty crazy that Commodore is doing it themselves too.
    Sadly, it's in name only. A Netherlands company purchased the assets and rights to the Commodore brand four or five years ago. Not much to do with the Commodore that folks grew up with.

Thread Information