Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wii for £90?

Blog Entries

Rev Wii for £90?

Nintendo's Wii could be nestling under your telly for a lot cheaper than you think, according to a financial report from the Tokyo-based Nikko Citigroup.

In-between the financial jargon, the financial institution forecasts that the Wii could carry a Japanese price tag of 19,500 yen, down from original estimates of 25,000 Yen, because of cheaper CPU costs, which, through current exchange rates roughly translates to around £90.

But before you start doing Mario cartwheels on your computer desk, keep in mind that console prices rarely ever convert according to exchange rates, and we can probably take this report to indicate a more likely price-point around £130.

Nikko Citigroup's previous forecast for the Wii was 25,000 yen (about £114), but the firm lowered its price estimate based on its expectation that Nintendo will be able to produce the console's CPU for lower than expected.

Up to now the official word from Nintendo has been that the Wii will retail for under 25,000 yen in Japan and under $250 in the US. While we don't expect the console to debut at the sub-£100 price-point this report suggests, the surprisingly-low £130 introductory price of Nintendo's Gamecube has us hopeful that the company will still surprise us with a really competitive entry into the market. It could even creep up towards the £150 mark and still be damn good value.

We'll be looking out for good news at Nintendo's Leipzig press conference next Wednesday.

Haha i thought it said $90 for a second. £90 is still an awesome price though.

That price is less than 3 360 games at 60 bucks a piece!

$170 Wii + $400 Xbox360 is still less than the ps3 lol

If its that price, PS3 are selling there games for approx 60% of the nintendos Wii console price.

Anyways, as you say It'll probably be £100+ when first out, still great price, i'll be getting it

What sounds better to get with $600

PS3 console for $600 or:

Wii for $170
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess $50
    Red Steel $50
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption $50
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl $50
    Super Mario Galaxy $50
    WarioWare: Smooth Moves $50
    An extra Wii controller approx. $40
    That leaves you 90$ to spend on sweet old school games on the Virtual Console.

Amen to that sko!!!

Hey guys I’m new here. Does ne1 remember the UK cube launch? About 4 hours before its midnite release here, Ninty instructed all retailers to take a further £50 off the price, to totally stump xbox even more! Couple with that the fact I got 1000 GAME reward points (£10 GAME vouchers) and I had an extra £60 in my pocket to buy 1 or 2 more games! Man I was so happy that day with Luigis mansion and all the money I saved! I wonder if they do anything like that this time round as seems it's going to be very close to ps3 launch day? Hope £133 is at least true though, I’d happily pay £150 if it comes to it. http://www.wiipreorder.co.uk/

Sounds like a good story. Advance Wars is awesome. I can't wait for Phantom Hourglass and Twilight Princess.

It's a good story, but I don't think they would do that these days Dee-Lite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information