Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP Washed out colours when playing mpeg4s

Default PSP Washed out colours when playing mpeg4s

Hi, Does anyone elses mpeg4s have a washed out look? Ive converted many clips via 3gp_converter (using the 368x208/29.97fps/1500kbps setting) but all clips lack rich colour. Ive tried music videos, movie clips and converted dvds all of which are high quality clips but loose a lot of the colour when converted and played on my (japanese version) PSP. Maybe mine is faulty?

DCEmu Newbie

Default Re: PSP Washed out colours when playing mpeg4s

From what i read you need to convert the video FIRST off to an avi format. From there you use the 3GP converter to compress and encode it to MP4 format. It might be possible if its not done this way that some videos may lose quality if you skip the step of changing it to avi format first, or pixelation as everyone calls it.

A lot of my converted clips were avi and some mpegs both as bad as each other.

i converted a clip from the Matrix Reloaded DVD (Neo Vs Smiths Fight) (i converted the .vob file btw) and i tried it on all different settings, to keep it small it ended up a little blocky in places and if it was the highest quality it was perfect (obvious i know) but i never noticed any 'washed' colours or anything on both low and high quality.

also, that fight scene looks tha shiznit on the PSP gonna get a bigger memory card soon so i can convert full films

DCEmu Newbie

[quote author=revolversoul link=board=PSP;num=1110149511;start=0#2 date=03/07/05 at 00:15:07]A lot of my converted clips were avi and some mpegs both as bad as each other.[/quote]

Well the only other reason for the bad videos would be one of two things. The quality of the video was already bad before compression or your PSP has some issue with Pixels.

it's not either of these things, it's like the 'colour' or 'contrast' has been turned down.. is this what you mean? if so i have noticed a similar thing.

Quote Originally Posted by danrowland
    it's not either of these things, it's like the 'colour' or 'contrast' has been turned down.. is this what you mean? if so i have noticed a similar thing.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, this is exactly how it looks. As if the colour and contrast have been turned down. I have the Japanese superior? screen, I wonder what the Samsung screen will look like. The colours are not as rich as they should be. Maybe a UMD movie will bring out the colours but I have tried the same clips in mpeg4 on an i-mate jam and sony ericsson p910i and both the phones have richer colours than the psp. Yes, the screens are smaller but they have less pixels and colours so shouldnt be better should they?

does pressing the display button help? remember that the 4th setting is only available when pluggeg into the mains

I've noticed that some videos may have to much brightness from the bottom but the colors look extremly well when compared to portable dvd players.

I use Rapiz encoder at 600 bit rate, 417x176 reso, 48bit sound. This make about 24minutes worth of video 100MB UMD perfect quality.

I cant really settle for anything less than perfect. I mean you can fit a whole movie at perfect quality on a 512 stick.

say i have 2-3 hours film how big mem card will i need

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information