Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UKEGI asks Government to recognise videogaming as a competitive sport

Blog Entries

General games UKEGI asks Government to recognise videogaming as a competitive sport

News from Gamesindustry

A group of companies from the UK's competitive gaming community have set up a new project designed to promote professional videogaming.

The UK Electronic Gaming Initiative hopes to promote the idea that "competitive videogaming is not only a lifestyle but also a career choice", according to an official statement, "and one that should be welcomed and accepted".

The UKEGI is collecting evidence to support an application to Britain's Sports Council and Department of Culture in a bid to have videogaming recognised as a sporting activity.

According to the UKEGI, several other countries around the world have already taken this step, and other European countries are planning to follow suit.

Companies signed up to support the initiative include play-games-for-cash firm Prize Fight, and LAN event organiser Multiplay.

"What is the definition of 'sport'? What is the definition of competitive videogaming?" said Prize Fight CEO Paul Sulyok.

"I see negligible difference there. The skills possessed by those able to compete at a professional level define such competitors as athletes - and thus their pastime as a sport. The UKEGI are simply working toward mainstream recognition of this fact."

Philip Wride, manager of gaming clan 4Kings, added: "The UKEGI has been setup to champion the cause that not only is videogaming good, but that it also meets the requirements to be classified as a sport.

"Videogaming is the largest sector of the entertainment industry and continues to grow, and as such those that choose to make playing videogames their career should be congratulated and supported, rather than frowned upon."

One sport we all can compete in eh

i dunno.. I dont agree with professional gaming as a career. its competitve entertainment, i would get no satisfaction out of watching ppl compete, its only fun to participate. Noone can have truly that much excitement watching ppl play games, unless they're anticipating their "next" turn.

This is just a stupid idea...

Quote Originally Posted by JesusXP
    i dunno.. I dont agree with professional gaming as a career. its competitve entertainment, i would get no satisfaction out of watching ppl compete, its only fun to participate. Noone can have truly that much excitement watching ppl play games, unless they're anticipating their "next" turn.

This is just a stupid idea...
    Lol I agree I dont see gaming being a competitive sport or making a career of it but I can see it being entertaining mixed with some other stuff like on a show called gamezville it was preety good but i think it got cancelled

I might be athletic after all.

Quote Originally Posted by SSaxdude
    I might be athletic after all.
    LMAO! Me too.

same for me and maybe one of us will be a champion lol
    however this is a good news..think about Nintendo Wii..

DCEmu Pro

idk this is just plain wierd

That would be great

it would be cool.

I feel gaming should be classed as a sport as is what some people excel at and compete at already.

also i enjoy watching a good counter strike match or the sort i find it interesting, but hey i like watching poker.

Yes i agree with it being a "Sport", not a popular to watch, but popular to compete in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information