Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese hardware sales, 7 August - 13 August

Quote Originally Posted by Malkster
    So the DS Lite Leads
    For the past 5 weeks...

DCEmu Newbie

First... I am no fan boy. I own neither system. I am a historian and I like statistics (the only math I like) so call me freaky if you want. But this is what I noticed.

Ok... So I was wondering about DS PSP sales by region and world. So I checked what a few of you linked to. And the numbers they provide just don't seem to add up.

Example:
    PSP World 2005 - 15,030,000
    DS World 2005 - 9,420,000

Well... wow. That seems to be a huge lead... until
    I check the regionals and the PSP seems to always be behind the DS or barely ahead...

US 2005
    PSP - 3,633,964
    DS - 3,817,883

UK/Europe 2005
    PSP- 5,020,000
    DS - 4,100,000

Japan 2005
    PSP - 4,200,000
    DS - 5,700,000

Some basic math later I get...
    World 2005
    PSP - 12,853,964
    DS - 13,617,883

Wow... That is a whole lot of discrepancy... now for the PSP you could say that other regions of the world not counted here could make it up... Latin America, Africa, Russia, Middle East, Antartica...
    But the DS total given doesn't even add up to the number you get adding up regional totals given...

So I dig just a little bit and find this on the home section of the page under updates

6/13/2006 - When I first started this site, it was just a hobby site. Ever since joystiq.com linked my site as a source, the site has kinda taken off. Now other "main-stream" tech sites have picked up the so called "story". After seeing how such information can spark such heated debates I have decided to add a Discussion forum to the site.

So... where does this hobbiest get his information? Does a link from joystiq.com make it reliable information? I would say not on the face of a comparison of the figures the site itself gives... I wonder if we can get any site with accurate sales figures for the world and regions...

So just remember folks... information on the net that doesn't tell you where it came from could be anything... or nothing.

At the bottom of home it states...
    "Most numbers are sited from NPD, Media Create, Famitsu, or Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft press releases/financial reports." But the numbers still just don't add up... I wonder if he posted some numbers from certain areas and then a world total from another without checking the data himself... once again same problem as above. After all all the big companies have an agenda...

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by sko, TheLogicalGamer
    Max I really don't see the PSP dropping to 150 anytime soon, they just dropped the price to 200.
    Anyway you can pause the game on DS, maybe you got that idea from wi fi. Also I think DS games are exactly opposite of shallow, ugly, and boring. Last time I checked New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS, Tetris, Advance Wars DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, and Animal Crossing all kick ass.
    Metroid is a neutered game, unlike GTA on the PSP. Advanced Wars couldn't stand up to Field Commander. Crash Bandicoot has x10 the gameplay of Mario Kart. I don't understand people's love of Mario Kart, never liked the game. Tetris? You've got to be kidding. Super Mario Bro is a super-shallow game. After the first 10 minutes of nostalgia, it's back to the DS game heap. Animal Crossing I dearly love, but it's not much of a game. Just alot of minor fetch quests and busy-work. All of these DS games are just a taste of a real game on a console. Why settle for a taste when the PSP will let you play the whole darned thing?

And FYI, when I say Pause, I mean Hibernate. The DS can't Hibernate when you hit the power switch. With the PSP, you can put it into Hibernate, use no power, and come back to the same game the next day. Try that with the DS. Not happening, it'd be dead in 4 hours. In fact, I've played games like Untold Legend for WEEKS, without ever rebooting the PSP or stopping my game. I hit the power switch, get on with life, and come back whenever I want.

So, as I said before, the PSP is a superior game system with better games, and the DS is very.. um... weak. I have a DS. I've enjoyed the best it has to offer, but it just can't compare.

MaxSmokeI think the PSP is a good entertainment system with some good games, but I don't think the games are as good as the DS lineup right now. I still don't see how Bandicoot has 10x the gameplay as Mario Kart. Does Bandicoot even have online play, I don't know. I don't understand why you don't like Mario Kart if you like Crash Bandicoot, they are the same kind of game. This is what MKDS has to offer.

Mario Kart has Grand Prix mode in which you can choose from 4 different classes, 12 different racers, 36 karts to choose from, 4 cups, and 16 new tracks, and 4 retro cups with 16 tracks from SNES, N64, GBA and GCN Mario Kart games.

You can also play time trial mode in which you can set a time trial and send a ghost to your buddy and see if he can beat it.

Then there is vs mode, and battle mode which includes balloon battle and shine runners, and has 6more levels to choose from.

There is also mission mode ranging from level 1 to 7, 8 missions per level and 1 boss mission. That comes to a total of 63 missions.

In multiplayer you can choose from vs, shine runners, and battle mode.

then there is wifi

The game even keeps a record of your wins and losses against the people you have played in vs battle and WFC matches.

I haven't played Crash Bandicoot for PSP but I don't see it having 10x the gameplay of Mario Kart.

DCEmu Rookie

...really, u'd be better off ignoring MaxSMoke...

cyrien, it's possible that the numbers don't add up, for one reason because sony typically reports its numbers as units shipped, rather than units sold.

Sothe NDS in japan alone sells more then the PSP in the world in a monthly basis. Whats going on is every kid in japan getting a new one every other month.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information