Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Easy step by step 2.5/2.6 Downgrade guide.

DCEmu Newbie

just bought a PSP. My firmware version came with 2.60, and i don't see any writing on the green board inside the UMD slot on either right or left side. So i asume i'm fine to downgrade.
    However, for the "tools" needed for downgrading, i have downloaded the file and i have a copy of gta liberty city. It says that 2.60 is patched how do i use the UMD i have? It says you can check if you have a unpatched GTA by going to the game icon and pressing up but nothing happens when i do this

When you out the Umd in the drive (without switching your PSP off) and the GTA background and music kicks in, there will be an icon under the UMD icon that will say which update is embedded into the UMD. If it says 2.60, you cannot use that GTA to downgrade as the exploit has been patched.

DCEmu Newbie

did u get n e help cause i av the 2.60 version aswell please please reply

DCEmu Newbie

how do you resart the psp help a newbie

Restarting the PSP is just simply switching it off and then on again.

In another sense, if a PSP restarts itself, it just resets without turning off and shows the Sony Computer Entertainment logo as if you tuned on your console. It's something like the Restart option under Turn Off Computer in Windows on your PC.

Hey everyone. New to the forum. Well, let me get to my point. I installed this downgrade and now my PSP won't show anything on the screen. It's pitch black even after restarting it, and I didn't even see step 14.

Could anyone help me please? Thanks.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by tallica View Post
    WARNING: This can brick your psp! I will not be held responsible for any damage caused to your psp. If you follow this guide you should not have a problem as i have downgraded 5 psps and i know what im talking about.

Requirements:

(1) A psp that does NOT have a TA-082 motherboard.

You can check this by opening your umd drive and looking for gold writing at the top right corner. If you have gold writing you cant downgrade.

(2) A psp with firmware 2.5 or 2.6. It is suggested if you have not upgraded before and are a 2.5 user that you first upgrade to 2.60. You can download the 2.60 update here.

Place the update in the GAME folder of your memory stick in a folder called UPDATE, then go to the game icon in the psp menu and load the update (make sure the A/C adapter is plugged in and you have a 100% charge.)

(3) A usb cable

(4) A psp A/C adapter

Downgrading tools:

(1) An unpatched UMD of gta liberty city stories. You can check if you have a unpatched GTA by going to the game icon and pressing up.

If you have a 2.0 update, its not patched
    If you have a 2.6 update, its patched

(2) The full 2.5/2.6 -> 1.5 downgrader which you can download from here

Step by step instructions:

(1) Open up the downgrader we downloaded earlier in the tutorial.

(2) A screen will come up telling you not to downgrade if you have a TA-082 psp, just click on the screen to continue

(3) Another screen will come up telling you to use an unpatched copy of GTA, as before just click on the screen to continue.

(4) It will ask you if you are ready to upgrade. Click on yes.

(5) A screen will come up telling you to connect your psp to your pc, connect your psp to your pc and click on the screen to continue. I highly suggest you format your memory stéck before you continue.

(6) A screen will pop up asking you if you agree, read what it says and click on agree to continue.

(7) Once again a sceen will pop up asking you if you have a 2.5 or a 2.6 psp, make sure you click on the right one! Press next to continue.

(8) A screen will come up asking you to select the root of your memory stick, just browse, click on your psp (your psp should be called removable disk) and press next to continue.

(9) Some files should now be transfering to your memory stick, when they are finished click next.

(10) You can now disconnect the usb cable and load up the GTA UMD.

(11) When the UMD loads up you will see a menu with "Downdater test" written on it, before you do anything connect your psp to the A/C adapter.

(12) when you are ready press x or o to run the downgrader.

(13) Yor psp will go black and the memory stick light will start flashing, do not remove the A/C adapter or turn off your psp.

(14) When the downgrader is finished the psp will restart and a data corrupt message will appear, press o to continue.

(15) You may see an error saying disc could not be read, if this happens restart you psp.

(16) You now have a 1.5 psp!

(17) You can now format your memory stick and fill it up with homebrew!

If you have any questions leave them here and i will reply asap.
    G'day mate... Just want to be clear before i go ahead with downgrading my kids PSP's.I just Bought my kids a 1GIG memory stick each for easter.. I downloaded a few games from a torrent site i also downloaded PSP Media Manager can i use this program to transfer the games?.And how do i format my Memory sticks?.

Thank you.

CHAMP

DCEmu Newbie

This is one happy Lurker who just downgraded and had the overwhelming urge to post as a result.

THANK YOU to EVERYONE involved in this project!!!!!:thumbup:

DCEmu Newbie

does it matter what size of memory card you have to do the downgrade? I want to change from 2.6 firmware down to 1.5 so I can go to dark alex's firmware. I have a 64meg memory card and also a 4gig card but it's not reading the 4gig one. This might be due to the firmware or it not being formated I'm not sure which of the two is the problem. I'm a newbie so any information is helpful ^_^

DCEmu Newbie

Hi there! I have a simple question before i begin downdating... i don't see a game folder in my memory stick. should i create one? - found it by reformatting my stick..

also i just read through the whole thread and i realized i can no longer use my GTA UMD because it says 2.6. bummer.. Can i update to 2.71 and then just use a different downdater?
    Last edited by don828; December 26th, 2007 at 14:41.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information