News via http://retroactionmagazine.com/retro...icial-release/

If you’re in the dark where “Mega Drive Advanced Gaming” (MAG from now on) and “official” releases are concerned then go check out Out-of-Print Archive’s interview with Hugh Gollner, the publisher/owner of Maverick Magazines (the very company that produced MAG).

Right, that’s the background of the magazine and official permission taken care of so it’s down to digitizing the thing. First things first, the magazine is obtained, and although I personally have a few issues of MAG, I didn’t have issue 1. Thankfully, a very generous member of Out-of-Print Archive forums by the name of homgran kindly loaned me his copy of issue 1. I received the magazine and I was ready to start scanning. Scanner settings used for this are 300dpi resolution, 100% and reflective magazine filter, with image output being the raw PaperPort lossless image format.

Having an A4 scanner and a magazine in that super A4 wide format all the publishers loved during the 1990s, I have to scan each page twice, one on the left and once on the right – they are joined later on in the editing process. A quality release should also capture the full page of the magazine and never have any pages cropped. Of course, the work here can be reduced by obtaining a new scanner as the better models can scan one page in about 10 seconds, rather than the one minute 55 seconds I have to wait for.