Thread: Sony Out for Blood Over PS3 Hack - A Threat to the Homebrew Scene ?

Blog Entries

ps3 Sony Out for Blood Over PS3 Hack - A Threat to the Homebrew Scene ?

From what we have seen around the internet, the hacking of the Playstation 3 is major worldwide news. The last of the big consoles has now been hacked for both Homebrew (yeah baby) and also Piracy.

It seems one can not be without the other and well theres where Sony will use everything in their arsenal to stop the PS3 becoming like the PSP where basically piracy has took over to the extent that titles just dont sell well on the PSP Now.

Sony are well known to go after sites and shops before, those that remember the days when you would be in trouble for hosting PS1 and PS2 Bios's.

After that they forced Lik Sang and others out of buisness for selling consoles in Europe before the release date.

Now we have the Jailbreaking of the PS3 which got them to go after a Modchip Shop in Australia and various shops around the world who are selling the devices.

Not only that but i would be sure they will go after the hackers themselves and even sites such as PSXScene and others, maybe even we at DCEmu arent safe from a major Sony backlash.

One things for sure this could very well be a day of reckoning for not only the PS3 scene but all consoles that werent open to homebrew without the hacking of them.

Not one site owner i know could stand up legally in court to the likes of Sony and if they do win and get sites closed down then will the likes of Nintendo and Microsoft follow.

Interesting times for the Homebrew scene.

I will never understand why one suppossedly cannot do whatever he wants to a thing that has bought himself.

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

Overreaching laws like the Digital Millennium Copyright Act are what make it so you can't do necessarily whatever you want with what you buy. This isn't to say that the DMCA is in-and-of itself a bad law, but some of its provisions (in my opinion) are overreaching.

However, laws like that mostly apply to copy-protection and the like (since it is, in and of itself an amendment to the Copyright Act). As long as you aren't violating copyright, you're probably in the clear.

However, all of the PS3 "homebrew" programs (other that the hacks themselves (such as PSGroove/PSFreedom -- I can't really speak for the commercial ones or forks of those two)) that have been released to date have been compiled with the Official Sony SDK without a legal license to use it. Those programs are thus illegal, even without the DMCA to back copyright law up.
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

I just knew that if the PS3 was hacked, that it would send SONY off the deep end..

The PS3 homebrew scene needs a homebrew SDK like the PSP has.
    That way innocent homebrew sites would not be caught in the crossfire, because this could get ugly.

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shizzy View Post
    The PS3 homebrew scene needs a homebrew SDK like the PSP has.
    That way innocent homebrew sites would not be caught in the crossfire, because this could get ugly.
    Agreed, 100%. I'd love to see an actual homebrew SDK for the PS3. Give it time, it should come.
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

DCEmu Regular

This all smells like desperation to me. Sony knows they gonna lose a s*it load of revenue now it's been hacked, and even more money lost in legal battles and they know they way they run Ps3 is at best average, so does this mean Sony will finally up their game? Or just follow company policy and keep whining about piracy? Who knows, you decide.

If Sony just kept OtherOS on the PS3, the company most likely wouldn't in this situation in the first place. Instead, that feature was taken out from firmware version 3.21 which then cause folks to go finding ways to get it back on there, leading to the hypervisor getting hacked and such. Okay so that would have meant no homebrew for the PS3 but at least it would have stayed secured and retain the ability to run Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    After that they forced Lik Sang and others out of buisness for selling consoles in Europe before the release date.
    I miss Lik Sang. Boo hoo, sniff. I used to import loads of games before Sony had there way.

It would be fantastic if a homebrew SDK was developed... but for the average user I really doubt that they would careless about the legality of it all (the xbox 1 was/is the ultimate console for emualtion, media playing etc and that was all running off the official illegal sdk).

I'm looking forward to seeing what homebrew comes to the ps3 though (even though I don't own the machine). :thumbup:
    Last edited by Baboon; October 6th, 2010 at 13:44.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing what homebrew comes to the ps3 though (even though I don't own the machine). :thumbup:
    Get one, I own two... I've just PS3break'd my fatty, which I'm now off to find homebrew. The SEGA Saturn emu looks promising, plus I read about a Dreamcast emu. Which could be one of the best things, especially if there is speed and sound, because I'm thinking of moving all my homebrew needs from my Dreamcast and Wii to the beast of a console.

Thread Information