Thread: Building a working dc toolchain

DCEmu Newbie

Default Building a working dc toolchain

Hello,

I'm trying to get a working dreamcast toolchain in ubuntu, but I've had little success.

Currently I'm attempting to use:
    binutils-2.20.1
    gcc-4.4.5.tar.bz2 (the gcc-4.4.4 patch included with KOS applies cleanly, and I've also tried gcc-4.4.4 repeatedly as well with no changes)
    newlib-1.18.0

I've tried using kos/utils/dc-chain/Makefile to get things going. The makefile won't give me libgcc, so some arm/sound related portion of kos fails because it can't find libgcc.

I've reversed engineered the makefile a bit and created my own lame script (hey it's a work in progress) for compiling the toolchain, adding support for building and installing libgcc. KOS will now compile, however, all the examples fail with symbol errors:

/dreamcast/kos/lib/dreamcast/libkallisti.a(init.o): In function `arch_shutdown':
    /dreamcast/kos/kernel/arch/dreamcast/kernel/init.c:244: undefined reference to `_fini'
    /dreamcast/kos/lib/dreamcast/libkallisti.a(init.o): In function `arch_main':
    /dreamcast/kos/kernel/arch/dreamcast/kernel/init.c:196: undefined reference to `_init'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [2ndmix.elf] Error 1

Can anyone tell me what's causing these symbol errors?

Here's how I'm building everything:
    Binutils sh:
    ../binutils-2.20.1/configure --target=sh-elf --prefix=/dreamcast/dc/sh-elf
    make -j#
    make install

Binutils arm:
    ../binutils-2.20.1/configure --target=arm-elf --prefix=/dreamcast/dc/arm-elf
    make -j#
    make install

gcc bootstrap:
    ../gcc-4.4.5/configure --target=sh-elf --prefix=/dreamcast/dc/sh-elf --without-headers --with-newlib --enable-languages=c --disable-libssp --disable-tls --disable-nls --with-multilib-list=m4-single-only,m4-nofpu,m4 --with-endian=little --with-cpu=m4-single-only
    make -j# all-gcc all-target-libgcc
    make install-gcc install-target-libgcc

newlib:
    ../newlib-1.18.0/configure --target=sh-elf --prefix=/dreamcast/dc/sh-elf

make all install CC_FOR_TARGET=/dreamcast/dc/sh-elf/bin/sh-elf-gcc AS_FOR_TARGET=/dreamcast/dc/sh-elf/bin/sh-elf-as LD_FOR_TARGET=/dreamcast/dc/sh-elf/bin/sh-elf-ld AR_FOR_TARGET=/dreamcast/dc/sh-elf/bin/sh-elf-ar RANLIB_FOR_TARGET=/dreamcast/dc/sh-elf/bin/sh-elf-ranlib

newlib includes fixup:
    cp /dreamcast/kos/include/pthread.h /dreamcast/dc/sh-elf/include/
    cp /dreamcast/dc/kos/include/sys/_pthread.h /dreamcast/dc/sh-elf/include/sys/
    cp /dreamcast/dc/kos/include/sys/sched.h /dreamcast/dc/sh-elf/include/sys/
    ln -nsf /dreamcast/dc/kos/include/kos /dreamcast/dc/sh-elf/include/
    ln -nsf /dreamcast/dc/kos/kernel/arch/dreamcast/include/arch /dreamcast/dc/sh-elf/include/
    ln -nsf /dreamcast/dc/kos/kernel/arch/dreamcast/include/dc /dreamcast/dc/sh-elf/include/

gcc final sh:
    ../gcc-4.4.5/configure --target=sh-elf --prefix=/dreamcast/dc/sh-elf --without-headers --with-newlib --enable-languages=c,c++ --disable-libssp --disable-tls --disable-nls --with-multilib-list=m4-single-only,m4-nofpu,m4 --with-endian=little --with-cpu=m4-single-only

gcc final arm:
    ../gcc-4.4.5/configure --target=arm-elf --prefix=/dreamcast/dc/arm-elf --without-headers --without-headers --with-newlib --enable-languages=c --with-arch=armv4 --disable-libssp --disable-tls --disable-nls

Note: KOS is able to compile this way.
    Last edited by Neuromancer88; October 21st, 2010 at 07:08.

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer88 View Post
    I've tried using kos/utils/dc-chain/Makefile to get things going. The makefile won't give me libgcc, so some arm/sound related portion of kos fails because it can't find libgcc.
    There really shouldn't be any issues with the ARM libgcc, as it should be built by dc-chain just fine. Not sure what's going wrong there, but I know I've had no problems building it (or at least it works fine under Mac OS X).

EDIT: Ah... its probably that its doing "make install-gcc"... Not sure why that's the way it is in the dc-chain Makefile, it should just be "make install" and things should just work... I'll fix that at some point.

/dreamcast/kos/lib/dreamcast/libkallisti.a(init.o): In function `arch_shutdown':
    /dreamcast/kos/kernel/arch/dreamcast/kernel/init.c:244: undefined reference to `_fini'
    /dreamcast/kos/lib/dreamcast/libkallisti.a(init.o): In function `arch_main':
    /dreamcast/kos/kernel/arch/dreamcast/kernel/init.c:196: undefined reference to `_init'

Can anyone tell me what's causing these symbol errors?
    What I believe may be causing that is that somehow your KOS_LDFLAGS has -nostartfiles in it (which it shouldn't for GCC 4.x). After you've sourced your environ script, do "echo $KOS_LDFLAGS" and let me know what it says.

For reference, here's what mine say (and I know my toolchain works just fine):
    $ echo $KOS_LDFLAGS
    -ml -m4-single-only -Wl,-Ttext=0x8c010000 -T/Users/lj/Projects/clean/cadcdev/kos/utils/ldscripts/shlelf.xc -nodefaultlibs -L/Users/lj/Projects/clean/cadcdev/kos/lib/dreamcast -L/Users/lj/Projects/clean/cadcdev/kos/addons/lib/dreamcast
    Last edited by BlueCrab; October 21st, 2010 at 12:48.
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

DCEmu Newbie

Looks like my my ld flags are the same as your's:

echo $KOS_LDFLAGS
    -ml -m4-single-only -Wl,-Ttext=0x8c010000 -T/dreamcast/kos/utils/ldscripts/shlelf.xc -nodefaultlibs -L/dreamcast/kos/lib/dreamcast -L/dreamcast/kos/addons/lib/dreamcast

If I can find some time today, I'll set gcc to install with "make install" and see if that makes any difference.

DCEmu Newbie

No difference in changing how I build gcc. I'm now doing:
    make -j12
    make install

Going from 12 jobs to 1 doesn't make a difference either (not that I'd expect it to anyway).

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

Doing just "make install" would only change that libgcc wasn't installed.

Someone else over at dcemulation had a similar problem with _init and _fini. I'm not entirely sure how he fixed it though, in all honesty... Here's a link to the relevant discussion: http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtop...00060&start=60 . Perhaps you might try asking in that topic...
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

DCEmu Newbie

Could've been because my environment was in a state of flux from all the different things I've tried, but I've since retried building 2ndmix and I get:

/dreamcast/kos/examples/dreamcast/2ndmix$ make
    rm -f 2ndmix.elf
    rm -f romdisk.img
    kos-cc -c 2ndmix.c -o 2ndmix.o
    2ndmix.c: In function 'font_init':
    2ndmix.c:699: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'load_pcx' differ in signedness
    2ndmix.c:364: note: expected 'char *' but argument is of type 'uint8 *'
    /dreamcast/kos/utils/genromfs/genromfs -f romdisk.img -d romdisk_boot -v -x .svn
    0 rom 4cc10261 [0xffffffff, 0xffffffff] 37777777777, sz 0, at 0x0
    1 . [0x808 , 0x4e0081 ] 0040755, sz 0, at 0x20
    1 .. [0x808 , 0x4e0073 ] 0040755, sz 0, at 0x40 [link to 0x20 ]
    1 e-79014.s3m [0x808 , 0x4e009f ] 0100644, sz 215944, at 0x60
    /dreamcast/kos/utils/bin2o/bin2o romdisk.img romdisk romdisk.o
    kos-cc -o 2ndmix.elf 2ndmix.o romdisk.o
    /dreamcast/dc/sh-elf/lib/gcc/sh-elf/4.4.5/crt1.o: In function `stack_k':
    (.text+0x60): undefined reference to `_stack'
    /dreamcast/dc/sh-elf/lib/gcc/sh-elf/4.4.5/crt1.o: In function `main_k':
    (.text+0x6c): undefined reference to `___setup_argv_and_call_main'
    /dreamcast/kos/lib/dreamcast/libkallisti.a(init.o): In function `arch_abort':
    /dreamcast/kos/kernel/arch/dreamcast/kernel/init.c:309: undefined reference to `_arch_real_exit'
    /dreamcast/kos/lib/dreamcast/libkallisti.a(init.o): In function `arch_return':
    /dreamcast/kos/kernel/arch/dreamcast/kernel/init.c:271: undefined reference to `_arch_real_exit'
    /dreamcast/kos/lib/dreamcast/libkallisti.a(exec.o): In function `arch_exec_at':
    /dreamcast/kos/kernel/arch/dreamcast/kernel/exec.c:88: undefined reference to `__arch_old_stack'
    /dreamcast/kos/kernel/arch/dreamcast/kernel/exec.c:88: undefined reference to `__arch_old_sr'
    /dreamcast/kos/kernel/arch/dreamcast/kernel/exec.c:88: undefined reference to `__arch_old_vbr'
    /dreamcast/kos/kernel/arch/dreamcast/kernel/exec.c:88: undefined reference to `__arch_old_fpscr'

Any ideas on this particular error?

DCEmu Newbie

SUCCESS!

Turns out as I was making this script to get around the issues I was having with kos/utils/dc-chain, I was applying the gcc patch correctly. Took a lot of grepping to figure what library was actually supposed to have these symbols.

What a n00bish mistake.

Now I'll to try a demo and see if it runs.

Thread Information