Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: you see that racist psp add?

Post you see that racist psp add?

I think these people need to develop a new common sense divison at the HQ...

Sony, seriously, this is getting out of hand. Every time we want to rethink what you're doing and try to back you guys up, you go and pull some stunt like this latest ad campaign in Holland, which, as one can see above, depicts a "white PSP" avatar/model violently holding the mouth of a "black PSP" avatar/model -- in commemoration of the launch of the ceramic white PSP, of course. The billboard pictured here is one of supposedly somewhere near 100 evocative images created for the campaign with the same theme, which found viewers of the ads -- and game lovers alike -- crying foul at Sony's latest foible $#@! PR fiasco (and believe us, we're sure to catch some fire for calling it just that). When it comes down to it we honestly don't think Sony is stupid enough to mean any ill will -- or smart enough to capitalize on a PR firestorm -- with such an ad campaign. But instead of confronting the issue and addressing peoples' concerns, they meagerly defended themselves to GamesIndustry.biz with the following: "The marketing campaign for the launch of the White PSP in the Benelux focuses on the contrast between the Black PSP model and the new Ceramic white PSP model," and "A variety of different treatments have been created as a campaign to either highlight the whiteness of the new model or contrast the black and the white models. Central to this campaign has been the creation of some stunningly photographed imagery..." Oh, make no mistake Sony, the animosity and drama of the imagery, the visceral emotional implication of powerful racial overtones, this is a huge blunder. And once again we find ourselves urging -- nay, demanding -- Tokyo reevaluate what the hell it is they're doing these days. Because mistake or not, this biz doesn't fly, Sony, and you're not helping the perception that you're an incredibly callous megacorp with little real direction.

P.S. -As always, we encourage a discussion. A sensitive, intellectual, worldly discussion. If you can't infer what it is we're asking of our dear readers tempted to intone on this matter, then please skip commenting on this thread, mkay?
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/06/s...t-advertising/

I've seen the ads and are surprised they are in the homeland of Afrikaners....

if they were the same race perhaps no outrage.

sorta silly.

could had been hot..

I think it looks pretty cool...

DCEmu Regular

old news, yes it does look cool but racial dominance in my view but when you use it as a psp metaphor, no it isnt

Btw it could been hot w/ the "white" chick

yeah this news is very old

there are no doubt dark Blacks and pale Whites but they should never be used in this manner..

I'd love to see two women of the same race though fight like that. That gets me hot down there.
    Steve Irwin 1962-2006, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by motoko250
    yeah this news is very old
    Very old news. I liked those commercials (OMG, does that mean I'm racist?! )

only racists see racism, we are all just people in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Blazed247
    only racists see racism
    That pretty flawed logic. >_>

But yeah, somtimes people are just way oversensetive and try to bash anything and everything that isn't "politically correct." That's one of the things I don't like the U.S. Too many people who try to make everything so politically correct that it's ridiculous. I mean, there are even people who want to censor male pronouns out of school text books because it's supposedly "sexist." Give me a break. -_-

oh pls, dont try to turn this subject into a pandora's box! representing dark skinned Black folk and the pale Whites as anything of those actual "colors" leads to conflict. its not good to represent the darker Black folk and the paler Whites as avatars for anything of those "colors". They have specific conitations not compatiable with humanic harmony.. Of course the Dutch don't get it, being the homelAND Of Afrikaners, I don't expect them too..

You have a very colourful vocabulary. Im jealous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information