Thread: Nintendo and Sony execs trade barbs over PSP/DS battle !

Blog Entries

Default Nintendo and Sony execs trade barbs over PSP/DS battle !

The ink's not yet dry on the PSP price tags, but the fallout from yesterday's surprising announcements has already begun. Bloomberg Japan reported today on Nintendo's reaction to Sony's price point for the PSP, which was far lower than any analyst or industry insider prediction. [br][br]"That's not a game machine," said Yasuhiro Minagawa, head of PR for Nintendo Co., Ltd. "They showed it at the [Tokyo] Game Show without any fundamental game software, and you can tell that it's not yet complete." [br][br]For a reaction to the reaction, Bloomberg went to SCE's Ken Kutaragi. "People who want to play with Pikachu will need Nintendo's new-style DS machine," he said, "but those who want to play our racing game Gran Turismo 4 will need a PSP, right?" [br][br]Bloomberg also quoted JP Morgan Securities analyst Masaru Onishi, who told the news service, "By announcing an unexpectedly low price for the PSP, Sony has raised the chances that it will fully expand into the market. Many game publishers are now saying, 'At that price, we'd seriously like to make games for the PSP.'"

Default Re: Nintendo and Sony execs trade barbs over PSP/D

[quote author=admin link=board=PSP;num=1099005498;start=0#0 date=10/28/04 18:18:18]For a reaction to the reaction, Bloomberg went to SCE's Ken Kutaragi. "People who want to play with Pikachu will need Nintendo's new-style DS machine," he said, "but those who want to play our racing game Gran Turismo 4 will need a PSP, right?" [/quote]Is that a real quote?

Because if it is, that's got to be the most childish comment I've ever heard.

PSP= $184.99
    crazy aint it

DCEmu Newbie

yeah and its now confirmed to be region free for games aswell

metaFox, that quote you call childish is quite funny, I think. Somehow the statement is also very true. Each system will offer its own style of games. Similiar to the Gamecube and PS2, the genre of games offered by each is quite obvious.

[quote author=alseides link=board=PSP;num=1099005498;start=0#4 date=11/07/04 at 17:51:39]metaFox, that quote you call childish is quite funny, I think. Somehow the statement is also very true. Each system will offer its own style of games. Similiar to the Gamecube and PS2, the genre of games offered by each is quite obvious. [/quote]It sounds like a comment some bozo on an internet forum (like you or me :P) would make, not a comment by an executive of a large corporation.

I would have thought that the executives at Sony would have more class than that. Apparantly I was mistaken.

If that's the kind of marketing that is expected in today's business world, then apparantly I'm not as in-tune with the business world as I thought I was; nor would I want to be.

lol people in the business world are no different from you and I they are just filthy rich and shove that in your face lol

I enjoy it when I hear a comment like that. They are very smart, tactical people to be able to get a name like Sony to where it is today.

The comment doesn't really reflect their business plans or even their entire personality... seems like it was just a little joke. Unlike what eric said, there was nothing shoved any anybody's face. In fact I think more people should loosen up, its good for you. heh.

The comment "That's not a game machine" by Nintendo is about the PSP is way more retarded I think. That's because it IS a game machine...

Who's to rely on little worthless quotes anyways? I wanna get a handheld!

LOL i totally agree with alseides about the comment Nintendo made about Sony.

I do think as i did work in a store with Sony products Sony was becoming the least interest with there first release of the LCD Rear Projection that had defects with the cooling system. A lot of there other projects were also doing bad there TV's anyways. As for Playstation 2 i would never buy it cause of what happened to my bro's first PS2 and the hardware is just horrible. Out of all the next generation systems i have heard more problems with the PS2 then i have heard of anyother.

Its True

Eric

Thread Information