Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need to get started

DCEmu Newbie

Default need to get started

Hey. Can anyone tell me what would be the essentials needed to start coding for the dreamcast? hardware, software, and what i would need to know about doing it? i really want to get started coding, just need to know what i need. thanks.

I think you have to start up by saing what you know. Any C/C++ experience

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

if your new to coding fenix would be a good place to start

DCEmu Newbie

i dont know any C++ but i know how it works, i just dont know any codes or commands. where can i get fenix? will i need a coders cable right away or can i do some basics without?

DCEmu Coder

If you code in C or C++ rather than Fenix, you can do just about everything except debug without a coder's cable. I don't use one, and I just figure out different ways to figure out where crashes occur (draw text to the screen rather than the console, change the color of the screen, stuff like that).

The only hardware you need is a computer with a CD burner and a Dreamcast. For software, you need GCC, binutils, Newlib, and KOS. If you're a Windows user, use fackue's DCDev ISO. It should get you set up with a Cygwin environment, all the compilers you need, as well as a fairly recent KOS snapshot. If you'd rather develop under Linux, it's really not that hard to get set up. There are instructions on the KOS website--I believe the url is http://cadcdev.sourceforge.net

I not at all familiar with Fenix, but I doubt that a coder's cable would be incredibly useful. Isn't it an interpreted language? You could just test your code on one of the other platforms supported by Fenix.

DCEmu Newbie

which is more versatile and user friendly? C/C++ , or fenix? or would they both just have their fair share of ups and downs?

learn c if anything. it'll be easier than gradually go to c++ otherwise your code will be crap. personally i recommend you stick with c unless your willing to devote alot of time at this. use the dcdeviso.

Dream Coder
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information