Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The (legal) things you’d like to see the scene bring to the PS3

Blog Entries

ps3 The (legal) things you’d like to see the scene bring to the PS3

News via http://wololo.net/wagic/2011/01/06/t...ng-to-the-ps3/

It’s no news anymore, the PS3 has been cracked open by hackers.

For the past few days, I’ve been enjoying the hypocrisy of technology websites talking about this. When a tool such as Half Byte Loader is released, enabling thousands of people to legally play homebrews while staying far away from piracy, we’re lucky if we get a line on any site (that is not categorized as “psp underground”) in the miscellaneous section.

But when Kernel and crypto join the party, the same technological websites that “condone piracy” are the first ones to mention all the bad things that could be done with it, jumping like scavengers on juicy news… The most hilarious (in a bad way) are the comments posted on these websites, in which some people decide they can judge the goals and motivation of dozens of hackers. I especially love this one, a jewel:

These sanctimonious a-holes [Note: he talks about the people who hacked the PS3] just want their games for free and are too chickensh*t to admit it.

Of course, if this person had ever tried to understand the underlying security of a computer system, they would have realized that such a hobby requires 200% of one’s freetime, and therefore hackers do not have any time to play (and, honestly, games are probably too limited for these guys who can literally do whatever they want with a computer…)

But I digress…

Today I don’t want to talk about piracy. I leave that to these websites, it’s illegal and it’s uninteresting… rather, let me ask you: what would you like to do with your ps3 if you had full control of it? Do not mention uninteresting stuff such as “running backups”.

Personally I’d like to focus on the “multimedia” role of the PS3 in my apartment. It’s connected to the TV and boots very fast. Unfortunately, Sony intentionally crippled the console for the wrong reasons. Here’s what I would like to see fixed:

1.Put back the support of PAL DVDs on my Japanese PS3. The Japanese PS3 doesn’t read my French DVDs, despite Japan and France being in the same region (zone 2) for DVDs. It pisses me off (like you can’t imagine) that a piece of hardware bought in 2009 cannot read DVDs that I legally own, especially when a computer bought in 2000 does it without a problem.
    2.Region free for DVD and Blu-Ray. I’m French, I live in Japan, I work for an American company: region locking is against my religion.
    3.Possibility to skip ads in BluRay and DVDs. I pay for the movie, not for the ads.
    4.More video codecs support, such as MKV, etc… (hmmm, as I read back, I guess what I’m asking for is a VLC port to the PS3 )
    5.A good mp3 player to replace the crappy existing one. Seriously, how can they call it an mp3 player when it doesn’t have a “play all my music randomly” function?
    Hmm, that’s pretty much it for now. Homebrew support of course, but this one’s obvious

How about you?

dont take this serious, android widgets!!!

Bettter Flash Player, Messenger, Better Facebook Integration. Send files via messages. And much more!!!

DCEmu Pro

PS2 Emulator.
    That would be hilarious.

DCEmu Newbie

XBMC or VLC just as long as whichever supports SMB and NFS.

DCEmu Newbie

I'd like to be able to remap my joypad buttons and map keyboard and mouse functions.

Keyboard and mouse for FPS games please!

:thumbup:

I'd like to be able to backup copy protected save games too!
    Last edited by mib_; January 7th, 2011 at 12:46.

Region Free movie playback. I'm from the UK and I buy a lot of japanese concert DVD's (and now blurays) this wasn't a problem with DVD's because UK and JP region codes match for DVD but they don't for bluray. (Luckily I have my computer bluray drive to play them at the moment.) But still I think region free bluray should be cool.

Also even though there is an obvious possibility me pirating PS3 games, I really haven't got the patience to do so with the size of todays games lol. I'd rather ease of use applications be made for the PS3. If the community is doing this kind of stuff can sony really have a moan about it? It's not like we're stealing anything (obviously there will be ones who do)

I know what else would be nice, something like pidgin messenger, so you could access yahoo and windows live from whilst you're in game.

Borderline stuff, I don't think there is anything wrong with a little bit of megadrive/snes emulation etc. Or playstation 2 emulation with ISO support blocked out and something which only reads official discs. (i.e make it fair for people who don't have the abillity to play playstation 2 games on their PS3)

I 2nd the XBMC....I've been without an HTPC since HD videos came out, which my original XBOX is too slow to decode on the fly. That's pretty much the only thing I want on PS3. On another note, I'd like a game loader, but only because I like to keep my game sealed for my collection. I've been doing this since PS2/Xbox days, but I think I may be the only person who legitimately uses backup loaders lol

DCEmu Newbie

Linux with full access to all the cpu/spus with Move support.

VLC is already available when using OtherOS, it just isn't very powerful.

I'd like to be able to plug in a MIDI keyboard and use a sequencer package using all the power of the ps3.

One word... Minecraft.

Being able to run that on the PS3 would be awesome! Yes, I know the PS3 has no JVM and nowhere near enough RAM, but I can dream can't I?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information