Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sonys Bad Week Continues - Upsetting Game Companies Now

man, yall are really hitting hard on wraggster

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Nafogel
    man, yall are really hitting hard on wraggster
    We're just trying to figure out what the article is about. There are some pretty far-out conclusions being drawn in there. It sounds like baseless guesses that conspiracy theorists consistently attempt to "prove." We all know it was not DevHook that was the cause of Sony sending the cease & desist order -- it was the patch that someone else uploaded that had the 1.5 reboot bin file. Wraggster seems to be amazed that sites can still host the ISO version of DevHook, yet it continues to be hosted on plenty of sites and without consequence so far.

Wraggster's title does imply that Sony has actually done something that has angered the game creators, yet there is no proof of that as of yet. The conclusion about the advertisement that was on the PSP Connect site was that it was simply part of a banner ad and happened to find its way on there and most likely Sony wouldn't have openly supported it, but mistakes are made all the time.

Sorry Wraggster, but DevHook does NOT have "a massive effect on the sales of Commercial games," since we all know a very small percentage actually have the know-how and/or desire to use illegal ISOs... (remember... the word "ISO" or the concept of "ISO" is not illegal and plenty of people simply use ISOs from their own purchased collection of UMD games, so they load faster and play faster on their PSP. I sure do.) You simply cannot associate DevHook with "warezing" (who knows where he got that word.) It can be used to do illegal things, but just because someone uses it does not mean they are using it illegally.

Personally, it sounds to me like Wraggster was in need of practicing his essay skills and decided to find some way to bash DevHook again -- no matter that his conclusions provide no underlying facts.

The homebrew community as well as the homebrew capabilities would be worse off without DevHook, plain and simple. I understand that some people can't accept that, but sometimes the truth is hard to accept.

DCEmu Newbie

I would agree, DevHook has done alot for homebrew, I can enjoy playing my homebrew games plus, playing my new umd games.

Pesonally I think wraggy is right about game companies being pissed at sony, actually EA issued a statement about something like this

This site does not discourage use of devhook, as we have a version of it here.

DCEmu Old Pro The_Ultimate_Eggman's Avatar

$ONY said nothing eh !! better than the mushroom treatment(kept in the dark and fed $#@!)).I hope $ony's weeks continue to get worse roll on new devhook.

DCEmu Legend

psp

Quote Originally Posted by viMaster
    The word "ISO" or the concept of "ISO" is not illegal and plenty of people simply use ISOs from their own purchased collection of UMD games, so they load faster and play faster on their PSP. I sure do.
    Same here! I back up almost all my games except for the fairly large games that would make almost 1GB I$O's. If I purchased and own the actual UMD, backing it up to memory stick is fair use in my book.

Put it this way, you can lug 10 or so UMD games with you and have to force the PSP to shut down, open the UMD drive, swap UMD's start the PSP back up again, wait for the longer than ISO loading times, etc. etc....

OR you could launch DevHook and switch between all 10 or so UMD images at ease by just pressing HOME + L or R. No shutting the PSP off, no opening UMD drive, no more slow loading times, less consumption of battery, + more benefits.

It should be a no brainer but yet there are some critics. Criticize the tools used to CREATE ISO's all you want but leave poor DevHook alone. If you really think about it, DevHooks firmware emulation is far more impressive than its ISO loading. DevHook allows my 1.50 to be a 1.50, 2.00, 2.50, 2.60, & 2.71 all at once. You can select which firmware to emulate and it does it perfectly. Web Browser, RSS, Location Free Player, AVC Video, and many more. THAT is the REAL magic of DevHook.

I do want to point out that I don't want this to turn into an attack on wraggster. Wraggster does so much for us and is a vital part of this great community we enjoy. I did not initially think the article or essay writeup came directly from Wraggster. I thought it was pulled from some other site or report. If Wraggster has a difference of opinion than the majority, it should still be respected.

ebay "sharks"? I consider it pretty freaking awesome that I can buy a ps3 for $600 at launch, if I want to sell it on ebay to some rich fanboy gimme-gimme who's stupid enough to bid $2500, I don't think that makes me a bad person. Just want to remind you that yes, there are some sharks out there who'll set Buy It Now's really high- but there are also some people who let the bidders bid, and if they bid rabidly, it's nobody's fault except the bidder's that the price gets inflated. Most people might not like it, but it's a simple idea called Supply And Demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar
    OR you could launch DevHook and switch between all 10 or so UMD images at ease by just pressing HOME + L or R. No shutting the PSP off, no opening UMD drive, no more slow loading times, less consumption of battery, + more benefits.
    man i still cant get that working on my dev hook! oh well.

seriously though, all of my mates who have bought a psp done so because of the homebrew. we are all old skool and blast amiga, c64, genesis etc. all of us have several UMDs - which we would not have without devhook as we never want to lose our homebrew.
    sure a couple of them also run warez but even then it is just on the odd game, and when someone DL burnout (all those moons ago) it lead to 9 copies of the UMD being sold.
    personally i think sony should wise up and do more free demos for download, but make them available without firmware upgrades.
    i also KNOW that without devhook, the psp scene would be a fraction of its size and about 50% of my mates would be playing DS only or instead.

I agree that DevHook is mostly a very good thing for the PSP. I just recently bought my first PSP games (and, no, it's not because I was using ISOs previously), both of which wouldn't run on 1.50, but thanks to DevHook, I can now pitch in with some cash now and then to help out the commercial devers. Without DevHook, I'd still be saving my money up just to buy a second PSP just to play these games.

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar
    Same here! I back up almost all my games except for the fairly large games that would make almost 1GB I$O's. If I purchased and own the actual UMD, backing it up to memory stick is fair use in my book.
    Voltron, err, I mean Veskgar, you know the policy about ISO discussion, and you've already been banned. Take a hint already. Why do you bother coming back if you're so passionate about your pirating that you can't shut up about it?

DCEmu Legend

psp

Quote Originally Posted by b8a
    Take a hint already. Why do you bother coming back if you're so passionate about your pirating that you can't shut up about it?
    !?!?!?!?!? - Left with quizzical expression on my face....

Interesting b8a, I have lurked on this site for a long time and always had nothing but appreciation for all of your translations and insight. That was a rather strange, unexpected, dissapointing, and hostile quote/reply to my post. Like I said, I have been a lurker and I am somewhat familiar with this Voltron character you speak of. You are right, he sure did not seem to know how to shut up. But to equate me with such negativity is an insult.

Anyway, I was only talking about how I happen to use DevHook. I stated nothing of the sort regarding pirating. Actually I discounted the ISO Loading aspect of DevHook as not a big deal in order to shed light on the many OTHER positive characteristics. While you may disagree with what I stated in a post, there are likely hundreds or thousands that would agree. Moreover, I am well aware of the "rules of discussion" in the forum and I did not violate anything.

I'll always like and respect you b8a even if whatever I posted rubbed you the wrong way, but you need to remember what kind of site this is. A PSP homebrew & emulation news forum. And that is exactly what my discussions are based on.

I suppose I can't shut up about pirating because I am also constantly praising gpSP and how well it plays backups of GBA games. Oh wait, thats OK right? Because its a ROM and not an ISO right?

Then I leave you with this to ponder:

What is the more likely scenario? A person using a PSP ISO from a UMD they OWN which can be easily created with no extra hardware or special tools.....OR all of the people using GBA ROMS actually legally own all ROMS in cartridge form. They just have the special hardware and such to create the ROM files??????????? And as far as downloading, what is easier? Downloading a 700MB ISO or a 3MB ROM? Which do you think is more prevalent on the Internet?

So the moral of this story is...... Give me a break! Me stating how I use UMD images is no different than me stating how I use ROM images when a new EMU is released. You can't diffrentiate the two. Lets stop splitting hairs and not create hypocrisy or let contradiction breed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information