Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sonys Bad Week Continues - Upsetting Game Companies Now

Blog Entries

psp Sonys Bad Week Continues - Upsetting Game Companies Now

Sony have had a bit of a bad week around the world as far as PR goes. Firstly they yet again $#@! on Europe with a crappy March PS3 release, yes Europe may not sell as many as USA and Japan but its still a mega market and all they have done is give the Ebay sharks another reason to charge silly prices for PS3 Consoles this Xmas.

Secondly the delaying of GTA Vice City Stories and the unknown release date of Gran Tourismo PSP, 2 more slaps in Sony Console fans faces.

Now it seems that Sony has turned its attention to the companies who release games on its systems.

A few weeks ago i posted that the PSP Connect site was linking to a homebrew site, that in itself is a very strange move for Sony as the site in question hosts Firmware files (remember Sony took the likes of Lik Sang to court for the same reason) and also the Devhook ISO Loader which obviously has a massive effect on the sales of Commercial games if warezing is being done on such a grand scale.

Now its like Microsoft carrying an advert to Linux on its pages, or Nintendo promoting Sony, these things just dont happen. But Sony basically promoting the warezing of its own console and the exploitation of its own firmware and the hacking of the console.

When contacted the rep from Sony gave no reply.

Now as a Homebrew Network we would be ecstatic to see the likes of Sony and Nintendo and Microsoft actually let all their consoles be open to homebrew in the forms we would like to see. But something tells me that it aint going to happen.

Now will Sony get a backlash from the game companies they need to keep the PSP as a commercial console alive ?

I suppose the question is, will we ever see homebrew allowed by on a major games console bar the likes of GP2X. ?

DCEmu Legend

psp DevHook doesn't mean WAREZ!

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster
    Devhook ISO Loader which obviously has a massive effect on the sales of Commercial games if warezing is being done on such a grand scale.
    I don't think that is fair to dub DevHook a PSP warezing app. DevHook does not create ISO's. DevHook allows higher firmware UMD games to run also, not just ISO. DevHook lets 1.50 users have all the benefits of higher firmware without having to upgrade. There are so many positives to DevHook.

Without DevHook there would be LESS of a homebrew scene because more people would get fed up with not being able to play commercial games and start upgrading. Especially with all of the great releases lately.

Booster and his awesome DevHook deserve so much respect and appreciation. It doesn't deserve to be affiliated with WAREZ.

There is not as much of a widespread "WAREZING" as some people think. Its a very small percentage of people and it is not dramatically affecting the PSP's success/failure.

The benefits of DevHook far outweigh any "questionable" traits and I don't think many people will disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Festizzio
    If they brought Brave Story to the U.S. then they'd be in business.
    I agree! That is indeed a kick a$$ RPG. I have been playing the Japanese release and it is very much playable for a Japanese RPG. I really do wish for an English version though.

PSP User

If they brought Brave Story to the U.S. then they'd be in business.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster
    Devhook ISO Loader which obviously has a massive effect on the sales of Commercial games if warezing is being done on such a grand scale.
    ... and the reading stopped there.

Lolz.

should the title of this topic have a question mark at the end? your write up doesn't directly say any companies have gotten mad at sony for this, but the title implies it.

i'm all for sony linking to homebrew, but have any companies said they are against this?

just trying to find out.

PSP Coder

Maybe it's just because I should be in bed asleep... but I didn't understand why "Sony have turned their attention to upsetting game companies this week"?

You seem to be referring to events from a few weeks ago.

And don't forget that a lot more 1.5 users are now buying UMDs as a result of DevHook, since they can now run them without sacrificing their homebrew support. It's a shame that Devhook includes ISO support, but it's in no way an entirely negative influence on UMD sales.
    Using firmware v2.00-v2.80? Open up a whole world of homebrew here
    The PSP Homebrew Database needs YOU!
    Don't let your ISP get away with illegal wiretaps. Stop Phorm Now!

Publicly sony doesn't support homebrew or hacking of their systems,but their actions seem to tell another story.
    Would we even have homebrew on psp without PS2 linux?

DCEmu Legend

psp Good Point!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fanjita
    And don't forget that a lot more 1.5 users are now buying UMDs as a result of DevHook, since they can now run them without sacrificing their homebrew support. It's in no way an entirely negative influence on UMD sales.
    That is a very good point which helps advance my argument that DevHook is more beneficial than harmful. Moreover, this would signal that DevHook is actually a boost to SONY when it comes to the PSP because it helps fans of homebrew & commercial games.

Obviously SONY cannot and will not openly support DevHook because of its I$O support, but frankly put I bet there are more than a few SONY employees rocking 1.50 PSP's equiped with DevHook....

Veskgar, I agree.
    At this point in time I think homebrew is a darn good selling point for sony!
    Especially with that homebrew news about the PS3.

DCEmu Rookie

Not really sure what the point of this article was...?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information