Thread: Some developmental questions

DCEmu Newbie

Default Some developmental questions

1. I am making the game itself in adobe flash but seeing as though I can incorporate flash into my exe file (written in c++), will it work on the dreamcast (im using flash 8, but i guess i can try 7) I remember finding a version of flash for dreamcast, but I cannot remember where at the moment. Doesnt planetweb have flash on it?

easier version: if i make a c++ program that has a swf in it, will it run on the dreamcast?

2. How do I make a VMU image? Since Im not sure how to incorporate saving (+ its a platform game that can be completed in one sitting, or through passwords I guess), I just want a simple VMU image to appear. In the shell part of my program written in c++, can I incorporate it there?

easier version: how do i make a vmu image?

3. How will I be able to burn said game onto a cd? more specifically, make a self-booting .cdi file. Is there a program for that?

easier version: how will i burn/boot it?

4. Do I need an official dreamcast sdk to make the game?

easier version: none

5. Will anyone be willing to help me test the game?

easier version: none

6. You have any ideas where I can find a template to use for the instruction manual and boxart? im probably just gonna do what fast striker (bought it) did and use a regular size dvd case.

easier version: cover art templates?

thanks if you help me? seeing as though people rarely post on the forum, i decided to get some conversations going. I can fully tell you what its about, but I can tell you this is the next possible candidate for a homebrew game to be sold commercially like faststriker and all them things. If you help and I get far enough as to manufacture it, I might be willing (if I do this) to send helpers the first editions of the limited edition, signed (im sure in the future, if this was a comemrcial homebrew game, that would be worth more money) and a regular version.

EDIT:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
    I found the open source flash player here. It is written in C++ and there is a version of it for windows, as according to wikipedia. Can one of you help me (start me off or something, or even help with the project?) make it so that visualbasic (i downloaded the c++ writer, im not sure that would make a difference though, right?) has code in it that (when on a cd) if there is a swf playing, it will use that gnash to play it?

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

1: there is a flash player for the dc but its for a very old verion of flash, and its was pretty broken too, i think. But exe's will not play on a dreamcast.

2: there was something but i can remember it

3: to burn dreamcast homebrew use bootdreams. But if you want to make your own games you will need have good understand of C++ and a dev enviroment setup etc, no easy task.

4: No use KOS (but its not for noobs)

5: i'm sure some visitors here would

6: the site's a little broken but http://covers.boob.co.uk/

I'm not a coder (i have written some flash games but thats nothing) but my advice is that if you have no experience writing C++ then don't start with the Dreamcast. Try developing stuff for the pc first before attempting with the DC.

DCEmu Newbie

In response:
    1. then how is homebrew bootable on a dreamcast?

2.you can't remember it? (you must have a typo)

3. dont use KOS? that sorta didnt make sense. I have an old (dreamcast era) visual basic and I think I might be able to get some c++ running on it. It has the ability to run .swf's inside of it and run like a normal .exe. That is why im asking. Becuase I cna code in c++ ont eh program itself that the dreamcast buttons will register as that key thats used to play the pc game.

4. I have virtualpc with windows xp on it, will that work for developement? Im not gonna do anything too intense, just create a swf running emulator with all the keys patched to work with the dremacast buttons.

5. the links didnt work for downloading.

Let me try to response your questions
    1. Planetweb browser had a Flash version... but I think it was Flash 3! As Darksaviour69 says, too old and too broken!

2. In KOS is very easy to add a VMU image with C++.

You have to make an array that is of "+" or "." . A "+" means a filled pixel and "." an empty pixel. Size of image is 48x30. In the KOS source, there's an example that loads XPM files onto the VMU LCD. It's located in examples/dreamcast/libdream/lcd.

3. Bootdrems is the easiest way to create CDI images and burn them. Dreamcast does not need any special chip to boot homebrew.

4. No, KOS is a full Operating System for the Dreamcast and open-source

5. Sure! I do lots of homebrew ports

6. No idea

Good luck with the swf emulator!

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

there is another flash player based on flash 4, DC Flash by Scherzo that was the one I was referring to

http://www.dcevolution.net/index.php?id=dcflash

but its was only ever a beta 0.1 and had no sound etc

also i will point out even thought it says "wince" on the dc, you can't boot any window programs on it. They would have to be ported over, but that's not an easy task

btw i ment "Do I need an official dreamcast sdk to make the game? no, use KOS "

http://gamedev.allusion.net/softprj/kos/

DCEmu Newbie

i wonder if i actually need to code a version of flash into the program itself. if i can actually mount the swf into kod, then i wonder if it will be fine.

and should i install KOS specidically on my virtualpc/pc i just formatted?

Thread Information