Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FRONTIER 1337 - version 0.2.1 - Working on recent firmwares

Default FRONTIER 1337 - version 0.2.1 - Working on recent firmwares

FRONTIER 1337 is a port for PSP from the 1993 Atari version of the game "FRONTIER - Elite II".
    I just made a quick update to Frontier 1337 in order to make it work on firmwares > 1.50

As always, for a better framerate result, set the level of shape detail to 'low' in the setup screen (start button), and disable things like 'Space dust, clouds etc' and 'Background stars'...

Don't try to change commander's name when you are saving your game. If you want to change it, rename the file in the savs folder.

You can find useful informations about the game on the official website, or about FRONTIER - Elite II in general at Frontierverse

INSTALLATION
    ------------
    Just unpack/copy FRONTIER_1337 folder to MS_ROOT/PSP/GAME
    If you want sound, download the MUSIC and SFX packages, and place them in the FRONTIER_1337/data folder.

CONTROLS
    --------
    Analog-stick - Move the cursor through the screen.
    SQUARE - Used like the left mouse clic to select things with the cursor.
    CROSS - Used like the right mouse clic.
    Hold CROSS + Analog-stick - Roll the vessel.
    Hold CROSS + SQUARE - Fire laser beam.
    Hold CROSS + D-pad UP - Zoom-in with the camera in external view.
    Hold CROSS + D-pad DOWN - Zoom-out with the camera in external view.
    D-pad - Rotate the camera in external view, and make ravel the galactic chart or the stockmarket list.
    TRIANGLE - Rear propulsion to increase speed.
    CIRCLE - Front propulsion to decrease speed.
    L and R triggers - Choose the functions that where directly available on PC with F1 to F10 keys.
    L + R - Validate the choosen function.
    Start - Go to the option screen.
    Select - "p" key for now... to get through the police arrest thing.
    Last edited by Atien; January 15th, 2011 at 12:06.

I have fond memories of Elite, one day they will make a proper hd update!!

Quote Originally Posted by SmashinGit View Post
    I have fond memories of Elite, one day they will make a proper hd update!!
    Me to i played elite for hours on the bbc micro computer back in the 80`s,so this will bring back memories to as this was on my Amiga 500!!!

long live the classics!!! :rofl:

Where can we grab the source from?

Quote Originally Posted by FOL View Post
    Where can we grab the source from?
    I didn't provided the source file with this version because I messed up a lot of things by switching from toolchain to MINPSPW compiler. Some part of the source code are asm68k converted to a huge C file. That's why the game is slow. If you still want to take a look at it, it was in the last version package, four years ago... still hosted on DCEMU.

sweet to see it updated, but gutted about the speed not being improved tbh. i mean, the thing flies on my A1200/030 50hz ... so it should really be amazing on the PSP's spec, even if it is C code.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
    sweet to see it updated, but gutted about the speed not being improved tbh. i mean, the thing flies on my A1200/030 50hz ... so it should really be amazing on the PSP's spec, even if it is C code.
    Horace, as he explains, he is converting the asm core to a massive C file.
    This is proberly why its running slow. You sure you aint been hanging around QJ.net, .

@Atien
    Any chance of the new source, Im not going to complain about neatness. You seen PSPUAE source, .

I have learnt alot about increasing speed via cpu flags and other little tweaks.
    If you can email it to me, Ill have a play.
    I wont give it out, if your worried about that. If I can get more speed out of it, Ill email it back to you.

I cant get the old source to compile on PSPSDK. Switched to that now, I have updated the PSPUAE source to run on it.
    I know what you mean about changing stuff, I had to alter uststd and stings just to get it to compile.
    Something about MINPSPW drifting off standard guidlines.

Not sure how you are with ASM, but there is an ASM68K core already on PSP. Been trying to find someone to help integrate it into PSPUAE.
    I have been told, it would proberly be an hours work for someone that knows ASM.
    Last edited by FOL; January 16th, 2011 at 13:05.

Hi FOL, thank you for your support! I have no problems with people helping around, all I want is the game to run full speed

This afternoon I'll clean up the makefile a bit before making a source package. The problem is that I didn't manage to compile the Frontier game data and engine with MINPSPW. Only the interpreter files. I'll provide the objects compiled with CYGWIN in the package in order for it to work with MINPSPW.

For the CFLAGS, I used -Os and -O2 for the game engine (I have tried all combinations under CYGWIN 2 years ago in order to get the best performance). For the PSP interpreter files, I'm using -O2 and -ffast-math. So I wanted to take a look at your PSPUAE source code to see what you did, but the zipfile from this adress seems to be corrupted.

And ASM is clearly not my cup of tea, especialy when the game code is > 66000 lines

Quote Originally Posted by Atien View Post
    Hi FOL, thank you for your support! I have no problems with people helping around, all I want is the game to run full speed

This afternoon I'll clean up the makefile a bit before making a source package. The problem is that I didn't manage to compile the Frontier game data and engine with MINPSPW. Only the interpreter files. I'll provide the objects compiled with CYGWIN in the package in order for it to work with MINPSPW.

For the CFLAGS, I used -Os and -O2 for the game engine (I have tried all combinations under CYGWIN 2 years ago in order to get the best performance). For the PSP interpreter files, I'm using -O2 and -ffast-math. So I wanted to take a look at your PSPUAE source code to see what you did, but the zipfile from this adress seems to be corrupted.

And ASM is clearly not my cup of tea, especialy when the game code is > 66000 lines
    Would'nt Os and O3 together conflict?
    I thought O3 done everything O1, O2, Os does?

What about G8.
    I found -O3 -G8 gave PSPUAE a big speed increase bout 2 years ago

I think, MAME PSP has the ASM 68K core PSP. You might want to check it out.

DCEmu Newbie

Default No soundFX or music

Hi, nice work dude. Been trying to get this to work on my 3.9 m33 psp for a while with no joy til now. love this game.
    This new version is working for me.
    Can't get the music or sound effects to play ball tho.
    Is this normal with the new version?
    Cheers:thumbup:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information