Publisher 2K has confirmed that, after 13 years of development, first-person shooter Duke Nukem Forever will be released on May 3 2011 in the US, and May 6 in other territories.

Gearbox Software took over development on the title last year, after original creator 3D Realms collapsed in 2009.

"The moment fans all over the world have been waiting for is almost here," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K.

"May 3, 2011 marks Duke's return as he unleashes his brash and brutally honest wit on the world. His return is going to be epic and one that will make video gaming history."

Added Gearbox president Randy Pitchford, "When I said goodbye to 3D Realms and the original Duke Nukem 3D team in 1997 and soon after founded Gearbox Software, I never in my wildest dreams imagined that a day like today would come.

"Today I am proud, humbled and even astounded to announce that the day is coming at last for all gamers to be a part of video game history: Duke Nukem Forever will launch worldwide this May."