Thread: Sony must prove PS3 hacker specifically targeted California

Blog Entries

ps3 Sony must prove PS3 hacker specifically targeted California

The lawyer representing PlayStation 3 hacker George Hotz in his legal fight against Sony has claimed the case may hinge on geography.
    "SCEA must demonstrate that Mr. Hotz 'purposefully availed' himself of the privilege of conducting activities in California, or purposefully directed its activities toward California," Stewart Kellar's latest motion (as seen by ArsTechnica) argued.
    Sony has been demanding that the case be held in a Californian court, something even the judge had previously questioned. The case may thus be contingent upon Sony proving that Hotz was specifically targeting California in his actions.
    Sony has previously attempted to leverage as evidence Hotz' use of Californian services PayPal, YouTube and Twitter to promoted the PS3 hack and ask for donations.
    "In the present case, SCEA cannot demonstrate that Mr. Hotz's activity could even arguably be construed as expressly aimed at California," claimed Kellar.
    "To the contrary, the sole alleged activity in this action involves Mr. Hotz - who is located in New Jersey - purportedly improperly accessing portions of his own Playstation computer -which is also located in New Jersey," he said.
    Kellar also observed that "The Playstation computer is not made by SCEA. It is made by Sony Inc. which is a Japanese corporation."
    An additional concern by Kellar is his allegation that Sony has misrepresented some of Hotz' comments as exhortation. Sony has claimed that Hotz wrote "If you want your next console to be secure, contact me, any of you."
    Kellar, however, claims that " The double-hearsay quote, derived from a screenshot within a forum post within a website... omits the full statement, which undermines SCEA's claim that Mr. Hotz directed any statement toward SCEA."
    Kellar's latest motion seeks a dismissal of the temporary restraining order issued against Hotz.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-at-california

So what exactly does proving he targeted California prove anyways? Because he posted on Youtube, Twitter, Paypal...? Those are all commonly used all over North America, and almost worldwide. What difference does it make that they are California owned?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    So what exactly does proving he targeted California prove anyways? Because he posted on Youtube, Twitter, Paypal...? Those are all commonly used all over North America, and almost worldwide. What difference does it make that they are California owned?
    yeah really. not to mention I'm in Kentucky and I hacked my PSP there and spread the word about Geohot to two of my friends near me, so I guess now I conspired against Kentucky huh..

As for Geohot/fail 0verfl0w's remark about "you want a more secure system contact me", I thought that was more of a call-out, nowhere near threatening.. Perhaps maybe fail 0verfl0w wanted to help Sony make the PS4 or whatever more secure?

What I find most weird is that there's more to fail 0verfl0w than just Geohot, yet they chose to go after him instead, and why Sony hasn't yet cried foul over PSP hacking publically like they're doing with the PS3 is beyond me..

Silly California...
    Last edited by adventure_of_link; February 5th, 2011 at 21:02.

Thread Information