Thread: Sony: NGP and PSP will coexist

Blog Entries

psp Sony: NGP and PSP will coexist

Sony's forthcoming NGP device will coexist with the PSP, not replace it, so says Sony chief Shuhei Yoshida.
    In an interview with Edge, Yoshida insisted it made no sense to think of the NGP as a replacement for the PSP seeing as Sony was still struggling to meet demand for its current handheld.
    "The NGP features everything Sony can and wants to do today," he said. "It's a platform looking forward with great ambition.
    "It can't replace a platform that has already been on sale for seven years now. In terms of pricing, we can't sell the NGP for the same price as a PSP. The PSP has become very affordable and popular, especially with younger generations.
    "I think the NGP needs time to mature and get adopted by users," he added. "So, for the time being, both platforms will coexist."
    The NGP is still a way off, with a late 2011 release mooted. It's worth noting that the PSP's release schedule between now and then isn't exactly bursting at the seams. There's Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together on 25th February, then Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy and LEGO Star Wars III arrive in March. After that though, things look bare.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...p-will-coexist
    Personally if anyone will support older consoles its Sony, but the PSP has had more than its fair share of piracy, i can see 3rd party devs dumping it asap, what do others think ?

Just a way to get people to continue to buy the psp instead of waiting for the ngp in my opinion. No one would want to buy a psp if he said support would be dropped and all effort would go into the ngp, which is what will end up happening.

DCEmu Regular

In Japan yeah Sony will make an effort on both, but Sony stopped making any real effort everywhere else years ago so what chance do you think it has when the NGP arrives? I think most of Sueny's extra time and money's gonna be located in the legal department now anyway.

DCEmu Newbie

I agree with all ya'll. I've always seen Sony as the better one out of Microsoft and Nintendo in gaming. Hope they step it up.

Thread Information