Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to unlock CPU Multipliers?

DCEmu Regular

Default How to unlock CPU Multipliers?

How to unlock CPU Multipliers?

ive read that the multiplier is also wats used to raise the clockspeed of a CPU.

i also assume that it is the better way of overclocking a processor.

but as we all know, there are alot of good CPUs out there that have a locked multiplier.

correct me if i am wrong on any of this.

so i was wondering if it was possible to unlock the multiplier? i read that some motherboards also has the capibility of doing so. but they were like from 2 years ago, but i dont know if they can do it on todays CPUs either.

i would really appreciate it if anyone can help me on this.

thanks very much.

Mutlipliers are almost always locked now adays.

Some AMD's can be unlocked by modifying the bridges but its risky business, Intel has always been anti-overclocker and has made it nearly impossible to unlock their multis without distroying the cpu.

Basically if your overclocking anymore its competely done by adjusting the FSB, maybe older motherboards from years ago could unlock multis when the locks where much simplier but you will find nothing like that beyond socket A.

Some CPU's naturally have the multiplier unlocked.

AMD FX-series K8
    Intel Extreme Edition
    AMD Opteron
    AMD Althlon MP
    Intel Xeon (?)
    Intel Pentium II (pre August 1998)
    *all CPU's before the Pentium II*

Ya all older processors have multis unlocked and the new processors made with OCing in mind do but its very hard if not impossible to unlock multis on newer processors that have them locked.

DCEmu Regular

im sure there must be a way.

like a program that can 'kinda' hack the CPU and BIOS and can manipulate the multipliers?

sorry if i sound stupid.

Many motherboards still allow multi adjustments, its just a matter of finding a processor that comes unlocked. Typically you can go to the Multi settings in the BIOS and change them to whatever you want and nothing will ever happen, It used to be that you could physically mod the processor to unlock multis but thats all but possible now. Most overclocking is done by adjusting the bus now.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTeressaBond
    im sure there must be a way.

like a program that can 'kinda' hack the CPU and BIOS and can manipulate the multipliers?

sorry if i sound stupid.

The multiplier is burned into the CPU registers, and only in very rare circumstances can it be over-ridden. The Athlon XP's and late Duron's just happened to have bridges on the top-side of the processor near the die that controlled a number of things. One of those bridges could unlock it, and I believe some Duron's could have all of their cache re-enabled (they're basically just lobotomized Athlon XP's) if memory serves me correct.

However, modern CPU's do not have that weakness. If they have a locked multiplier, it is burned into the CPU die itself, and cannot be disabled. Any overclocking changes at that point can only be accomplished on the Front Side Bus level.

However, unless you have prior (and preferrably expert) knowledge in the field of overclocking, it is not suggested. Many a time in my past did I enter the bios and inadvertantly **** something up. You MUST know what you are doing.

I cant count how many times I have ****ed things up in the BIOS, Morph the clear CMOS jumper is a common friend of ours...

explainb to me again wtf this overclocking does, PLEASE.

A computers processor is rated in Hertz, The idea is to make the processor do more Hertz per second then what it was intended to do making your computer faster. The downside is that the processor gets hotter the more of an overclock you do and must be cooled or your processor will not last to long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information