Thread: Guide on replacing R48 lens

DCEmu Newbie

Default Guide on replacing R48 lens

Hi there. I'm feeling very nostalgic and would like to get playing my DC again. The thing is though, it won't read any games at all. I found a shop that sells the R48 lens but the only thing thats missing is the know how to do it. So I thought I'd have a look and see how I can do it. The first thing I'll say is be aware of the lens at all times! don't touch it because if you do, its dead so be very careful not to touch it. Also, this guide is intended for those who have Dreamcasts that have the R48 lens. If you don't then this guide is useless to you because you will need a different lens and may be a different method to replacing the lens. Follow this guide at your own risk. I'm not responsible if you damage your Dreamcast. I have used this guide and it has worked for me. If you're uncomfortable doing this yourself, you can always get an electronic engineer to do it or simpler, take it to a console repair shop who can fix Dreamcasts. Ok, onto the guide.

Step 1 > Remove your modem\broadband adapter from the side of the Dreamcast. You need to do this to gain access to one of the four screws connecting the top cover to the bottom of the Dreamcast. Once you do that, you'll find there are four screws at each corner. Remove them.

Step 2 > Ok, once you have taken out the four screws, flip the Dreamcast over and remove the top. You'll see in the center is the GD-ROM unit. First move the lens back to the top of the Dreamcast. I stress again, be very careful not to touch the lens itself. There should be a couple of slits near the lens. You can stick your nail in there and push it up. You need to do this so that you can flip the GD-ROM unit, otherwise the ribbon cable that goes from the motherboard to the lens could tear. Don't worry about putting the lens back, the Dreamcast will automatically return it to the center when you turn it on.

Step 3 > Now that the lens has been moved, flip the GD-ROM to the back of the Dreamcast. The first thing you'll need to do is remove the cable that connects the lens to the motherboard (ribbon cable). Be very careful when doing this as its very delicate. Once its removed, you'll find at the bottom right corner a screw holding a small piece of white plastic. Remove that screw and remove the white plastic.

Step 4 > Now lift the metal rod thats on the right. The lens will come away with it, thats ok. Now remove the metal rod from the lens. Now you'll have the lens in your hand. You'll find at the top left corner of it (from the back of it) a small white plastic piece. Remove the two screws that hold it in place and take away the plastic. Ok, you're halfway there now.

Step 5 > Put the old lens to one side and get out the new lens you got. First thing is to put that piece of plastic you just removed from the old lens and put it on the new one. Screw it in place. Connect the ribbon cable to the new lens. Now get the metal rod that you took out from the old lens and put it in the new one. From this point on, you just basically do the reverse of steps 3 and 4.

Step 6 > Thats it! . If your Dreamcast still isn't reading games, try using this guide. Some new lens need to be adjusted slightly, this is normal (my new lens was like this so I had to adjust it)

Happy gaming!
    Last edited by Leprekaun; March 15th, 2011 at 15:37.

DCEmu Newbie

anyone?

Thats awesome man

DCEmu Newbie

handy guide. thanks for sharing

Angry Dreamcast laser replacement from chollomedia.es

Hi

I would just like to warn anyone considering ordering a replacement r48 laser from

chollomedia.es/

That this seller is not shipping R48 lasers as they state, but is in fact shipping sp3200 laser in it's place.

They state that this is a compatible laser, but it is not!

I replaced my laser today with their supplied sp3200 and it did not work. I tried extensively to alter pot settings, but nothing I did worked.

Please do yourself a favour and don't waste your money like I did, the sp3200 laser is not a suitable replacement for an R48 laser, well not in my PAL system anyway.

And beware of the seller as no information was given that I was ordering a sp3200 until after I complained that I had not received the laser I ordered.

Thread Information