Thread: Nintendo can remotely brick your 3DS after flash card use?

Blog Entries

NDS Nintendo can remotely brick your 3DS after flash card use?

Bad news for those that plan on using a flash card with their 3DS -- if Nintendo detects that you've been dabbing with one, the company might send a firmware update that could possibly brick your system. According to GoNintendo, Japanese retailer Enterking posted a warning message on their site, suggesting that your system might be unbootable after a software update if Nintendo detects you've been using an R4. Enterking is not buying used 3DSs that have a history of using an illegal cartridge -- a transparent indication that it's not taking any chances here. We can't know for sure if Nintendo will dish out said update or how Enterking might tell -- however, Nintendo did issue this statement to Eurogamerin response to their story on the topic:

"We do not discuss product security details (for obvious reasons), nor can we discuss the details of countermeasures available in the Nintendo 3DS system. Nintendo 3DS has the most up-to-date technology. The security has been designed to protect both the creative works in the software and to protect the Nintendo 3DS hardware system itself.
    Nintendo, like most companies, takes a palpable stance against piracy. We recommend that those fortunate enough to own a 3DS stay away from the flash cards altogether, just in case.

Update: Flash cards aren't illegal to use per se -- homebrew, anyone? -- although certain countries have banned them from import and sale, and their widespread use for illegal activity makes them a dubious proposition quite often.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/10/n...lash-card-use/

Hah, I have my Nintendo DS Lite for using flashcards so this doesn't bother me much. I do think however that pushing out an update to purposely brick users' consoles that run those cards is a bad idea though.

I am fairly sure it would be illegal for Nintendo to remotely brick your console unless you had signed some kind of lease agreement that said you did not own the console and Nintendo still did.

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post

Update: Flash cards aren't illegal to use per se -- homebrew, anyone? -- although certain countries have banned them from import and sale, and their widespread use for illegal activity makes them a dubious proposition quite often.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/10/n...lash-card-use/[/FONT]
    [/COLOR]
    They are unlawful in some countries (e.g. UK and Australia). It is nothing to do with them having legitimate uses, it is because they infringe on Nintendos patent for cartridge design and use Nintendo code without permission for security signing.

Thread Information