Thread: game engines running through linux

Default game engines running through linux

im probably one of the hundreds of rookies asking this one question but what is the simplest way to run a game on the dreamcast, and please dont mention "mod"
    im currently makeing a game that will run on blender and unity engines and though its nowhere near finished i really do wana know how i could run it through the dreamcast

the first idea is to run them through linux on the dc and make the dreamcast port a pre rendered backround game to keep the framerate high.

but i really am swimming in unknown waters here, i know its early to be thinking of the port but im putting more than enough hours into this and would love it to suport the dc scene with its completion,

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

Dreamcast on the Linux is pretty hard to get up and running with anything interesting. You'd probably be more apt to look at something like Fenix, which is available for use on the Dreamcast. I don't know all that much about Fenix myself, so I can't be of much help beyond the suggestion, but I'm sure there's people around that can be of more help.
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

its ok this is a grey area
    il see if i can convert the files to a fenix game but it looks like an old program, i may just have to grit my teeth and stick my head into programing
    but thanks :3

hey sorry to bug you with this but it seems me stupid to open another thread when i have a similar question....ive recently found a program for blender (a game tool) that can run on windows ce, specificaly the ipaq ....not ipad.... it has a simlar 200MHz power to the dc, but i was wondering how i would run it through the dc seeing as its "compatible" with windows ce... im a newb i know but id like to be sure of this before i start getting my head stuck in >.< thanks :3

The Dreamcast is "compatible" with Windows CE in that it was one of the development toolkits that was available to use for paid developers. It wasn't used all that widely, and it certainly doesn't provide a full OS environment (so, no you can't just run Windows CE programs on it).
    Sylverant PSO Server

thanks, ive read up on what it meant and i see your point, aparantly it gave some slowdown when they developed for it (sega rally 2) so what your saying is theyd make the games on windows ce and then useing a development program or kit, would convert it to the image that could run on the dc?, i mean thats how id imagine they would have done it, but even then wouldnt there be a way too convert the game engine and the game through the same software?
    thanks again :3

No, the programs had to be designed to run on the gimped up version of Windows CE that the SDK provided. There's no way to take a Windows CE program and "convert" it to run on the Dreamcast without at least recompiling it (which provided you could legally obtain the SDK (which you won't be able to do) would still probably require rewriting code and such).
    Sylverant PSO Server

*sigh* i may just have to look on an engine that i could import the blend files onto :/
    thanks again though :3

Thread Information