2D fighting game Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition has become the first 3DS title to ship one million units worldwide, with the title already the top-selling launch game in the UK.
Although the currently Japanese-only Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle from Level-5 has been the best-selling 3DS title in Japan, Super Street Fighter IV is expected to be the best-seller in the US when sales figures are released later this week.
The game's success marks only the second time the most successful launch title for a new Nintendo console has not been a first party title, following Star Wars: Rogue Leader for the GameCube. Although, like many DS titles before it, Super Street Fighter IV is distributed by Nintendo rather than Capcom in Europe.
Although primarily a port of the existing HD console versions the game has been praised by reviewers and makes extensive use of the 3DS' in-built features, including StreetPass. It is also the only launch title to feature an online mode.
Capcom has committed heavily to the 3DS format, with titles such as Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, Mega Man Legends 3, and Resident Evil Revelations already announced.
"As always, we at Capcom will continue to pursue our 'single content multiple usage' strategy by making advancements on new hardware to maximise sales while leveraging our brands to bring maximum satisfaction to as many of our users as possible," said the company in a statement.
The Street Fighter brand has shipped over 31 million units on home consoles worldwide, returning to prominence with 2009's Street Fighter IV.
Recently producer Yoshinori Ono hinted that an entry in the franchise is being planned for Facebook, saying in a CVG interview: "I think the framework of social networking and fighting games, or the amalgamation of fighting games, have already started so when I say something will happen I'm just going to add a little bit more on top of the framework we have now and once that is done I think we will get there."