Thread: Adding More To DreamInducer

Default Adding More To DreamInducer

I realize that the source for DreamInducer is long gone, and I know that the possibilities are very slim, but I wanted to ask a question of our talented coders:

Can anyone figure out a way to add more fields to the descriptions that DreamInducer interprets from the DXL files? I am looking to add a few extra descriptions to a special DreamInducer package I'm putting together, and I can't seem to get DreamInducer to recognize anything extra in the DXL files. It appears as though the elements of the menus are hardcoded into DreamInducer, and I am wondering if there's a way to hex-edit the BIN to allow more elements in those menus.

The easiest thing to do would be to simply add the option to include DESC2 - DESC11 and add SCREENSHOT2. I've tried doing this myself (there appears to be one place where it refers to the DXL file, and one place where it refers to the DXT file, so it would probably need to be added in both places), but I know nothing about hex-editing, and whenever I do hex-edit something, the BIN file ends up resetting my DC.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

Default Re: Adding More To DreamInducer

I thought I should elaborate a little more.

DCDayDreamer and I have been working on a special, secret project that should come to light in about a week. We have been working with DreamInducer quite a bit, trying to stretch the limits. Unfortunately, we seem to have stretched it a little too far.
    We inserted multiple descriptions (which are actually a description of the project, instructions on how to use the project, and a few other goodies). We also inserted an extra screenshot.
    Unfortunately, when we booted it up, we found that DreamInducer seems to interpret DESCRIPTION, DESCRIPTION2, DESCRIPTION3, etc. as the same thing. So, it appears that it loads the first one, then overwrites it with the second one, then overwrites it with the third one, etc. So, the only one that actually appears is the last description. Same with the screenshots. It shows the second screenshot in both screenshot spaces.
    I would really like to be able to get this working, as it would revolutionize the way people look at DreamInducer, and would make so many things possible, but it seems to be beyond what my little brain can comprehend, and I'm not sure DCDayDreamer's going to be able to figure it out either (we've each already wasted quite a few discs trying out different things).
    If there are any coders in here that may be able to help us out, or at least point us in the right direction, please do so.

Also - if you are seriously interested in helping us out, I can make you a staff member in the DCStuff forums, and you can see DCDayDreamer's and my entire conversation on the subject, and you can see the examples of what we've already tried, and what we're really attempting to do.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

Default Re: Adding More To DreamInducer

My guess would be that your names need to be something distinct from DESCRIPTION in the same number of characters, so instead of DESCRIPTION, DESCRIPTION2, DESCRIPTION3 - use DESCRIPTION, DSCRIPTION2, DSCRIPTION3 (note, those last 2 are not typos, they have the E removed) - Similarly with SCREENSHOT / SCREEENSHOT2, use SCREENSHOT and SCRNSHOT2 (note again, Es removed) - not sure how this would be expected to work - but I would think that the string matching is matching the first characters.

And, I don't want to be more involved - no time, no time!

Thread Information