Thread: Review: XCM XFPS Commando for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 & PC

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

xbox 360 Review: XCM XFPS Commando for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 & PC

XCM XFPS Commando for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 & PC
    Manufacturer: XCM
    Site: Buy from Play-Asia / Buy from Amazon
    Price: $99.90

Overview : The XFPS Commando is designed for First Person Shooter games. Different from our previous XFPS adapter versions, this device is designed to be used with our own mouse and controller. It is compatible with Xbox 360™, PS3™ and PC. It features a wireless design, faster moves 180° across the scene, compatible with Xbox 360™ headset, sensitivity adjustment, etc.

Features :
    • Compatible with all versions of Xbox 360™ and Xbox 360™ Slim, PS3™ and PS3™ Slim, PC
    • Compatible with Xbox 360™ Wired Headset
    • Compatible with the latest PS3 firmware
    • Consist of 2 devices: XFPS mouse and controller.
    • Instant Plug and Play (no need to connect to PC)
    • Wireless design
    • Ideal for use with all FPS titles
    • Super high sensitivity precision and smoothness
    • Move 180° across the scene faster
    • Built-in auto-fire function

*You MUST use a wired Xbox 360™ controller. XFPS Commando will NOT work with wireless Xbox 360 controller Play & Charge Kit.

Quality/Usability : The XFPS Commando mouse and controller each require a AA size battery. If the receiver does not have power for more than 1 minute or if no buttons on the mouse/controller were pressed for more than 3 minutes, the mouse and controller will enter into standby mode for saving power. It's suggested that if you're not using the XFPS Commando for a long period of time, please take out the batteries. On the mouse itself, there is a ON/OFF switch but the controller did not have one.

Using on PS3™/PS3™ Slim:
    1. Plug XFPS Commando receiver USB plug (1) into the PS3™/PS3™ Slim console and the receiver indicator (2) will light up and change colors between red-green-blue (in rotation).
    2. Switch on the power and press the START button. The indicator will light up.
    3. Press the XFPS Commando controller GUIDE button and the indicator is ON.
    4. Now the XFPS Commando will now be connected to the PS3™/PS3™ Slim console.
    5. To connect a PS3™ controller to the XFPS Commando, connect PS3™ controller with USB cable to XFPS Commando receiver USB port and the indicator will change to BLUE and will brighten. If pressing the PS Home button on PS3™ controller, you can use the PS3™ controller instead of the XFPS Commando (mouse and controller). If you want to change back to using the XFPS Commando, simply press the GUIDE on the XFPS Commando (controller) or unplug the PS3™ controller and it will go back to the XFPS Commando’s function.

Using on Xbox 360™/Xbox 360™ Slim:
    1. Plug XFPS Commando receiver USB plug into the Xbox 360™/Xbox 360™ Slim console and the receiver indicator will light up and change colors between red-green-blue (in rotation).
    2. Switch on the power and press the START button. The indicator (14) will light up.
    3. Press the XFPS Commando controller GUIDE button and the indicator is ON.
    4. To connect a Xbox 360™ wired controller to the XFPS Commando, connect Xbox 360™ wired controller to XFPS Commando receiver USB port, the indicator will change to GREEN and will brighten. Now the XFPS Commando is connected to the Xbox 360 ™/Xbox 360™ Slim console.
    5. If pressing the GUIDE button, you can use the Xbox 360™ wired controller instead of the XFPS Commando (mouse and controller). If you want to change back to using the XFPS Commando, simply press the GUIDE on the XFPS Commando (controller) or unplug the Xbox 360™ wired controller and it will go back to the XFPS Commando’s function. (Note: The XFPS Commando must be used with Xbox 360™ wired controller. No Play & Charge Kit.)
    6. To use the PS3™ controller, you have to use the Xbox 360 wired controller and follow the steps of 6-4 then unplug the Xbox 360™ wired controller, the XFPS Commando takes the function, now plug in the PS3™ controller , the XFPS commander receiver indicator turns GREEN and brighten, press the PS key on PS3™ controller, you can use the PS3™ instead of the XFPS Commando (mouse and controller),if you want to change back to the XFPS commando, simply press the GUIDE on the XFPS Commando (controller) or unplug the PS3™ controller, it will go back to the XFPS Commando’s function.

Note: When using the Xbox 360™ wired controller, you must use Xbox 360™ headset for Live playing.

Using on PC:
    1. Plug XFPS Commando receiver USB plug into the PC and the receiver indicator will light up and change colors between red-green-blue (in rotation).
    2. Switch on the power and press the START button. The indicator will light up.
    3. Press the XFPS Commando controller GUIDE button and the indicator is ON
    4. Now the XFPS Commando is now connected to the PC.
    5. When using the XFPS Commando on PC, the XFPS Commando receiver USB port function will be sealed off. You will not be able to connect a PS3 or Xbox 360 controller.

I must admit, I suck when it comes to FPS when using the analog sticks on a controller. Once I start shooting, I have poor control over my aim and spray bullets everywhere. However, I do better when it comes to aiming a physical device such as a gun or using a mouse to point and click (BTW, I don't play PC games). The movement of the mouse feels fairly smooth compared to recent attempts at a keyboard/mouse adapters. During my testing, I did not notice any dead zones. This is what we all look for as we don't want to play a game and the pointer jumps or skips and you're unable to kill your foe. The mouse is configurable. If the mouse movement is too slow or too fast, you can simply adjust the sensitivity of the mouse by holding the RC/R3 button and using the or to increase or decrease sensitivity, respectively.

The fact that it is a 'plug and play' is a big plus. No keyboard/mouse setup is required neither is a computer needed. Commando is very straight forward...plug and play! However, a wired controller MUST be used. You can not use a Play and Charge Kit. You can use 3rd party controllers such as MadCatz, Hori, Gamestop branded controllers and many more. Just make sure to hold onto the receipt incase these controllers don't work. Officially licensed Microsoft Xbox 360 controllers work without a problem. I myself used a MadCatz controller that I bought off eBay for cheap just the use of activating any XCM adapters.

Two 180° buttons located where a scroll wheel would be on a normal mouse. Would be nice to have a horizontal mouse so gamers can scroll which direction they want to go 180°s. Is it faster than the controller? No. The speed is the same as if you were to turn using the joystick. Regardless whether there is one or two 180° buttons, the location is in a bad location. In order to reach the bottom 180° button, you have to take your hand/fingers off the mouse just to be able to press the button. What makes it worse is that the RC/R3 button is between both 180° buttons. Depending on the game, you may accidentally press the button and causing you to lose. For instance, in Call of Duty, RC/R3 is the melee button and just when you want to melee your opponent, you press the 180° button and you end up turning around. There goes your surprise attack. You also can not program any of the 180° buttons.

XFPS Commando has 8 Turbo/Rapid Fire switches. The speed of Turbo/Rapid Fire is 20 shots per second. Note: Turbo feature does not work on PC.

If you want to do a custom setting for the Xbox 360™, you will need to connect a Xbox 360™ wired controller to the XFPS Commando receiver and switch the DEFAULT/SET button to SET. For instance, you want to set the "A" button on Xbox 360™ wired controller to the "B/●" button on the mouse of XFPS Commando. First, press the "P" program switch, the program indicator changes to RED and will brighten. Now press the "A" button on the Xbox 360™ wired controller and wait until the Receiver Program indicator flashes, then press the "B/●" key on the mouse. The "Program LED indicator" will stop blinking. Your programming is completed. All programming will be saved on the XFPS Commando even if the device is disconnected and turned off. There is no need to reprogram your custom configurations on the next usage. *Custom configurations do not work on PC.

To clear/reset your custom configurations, press the "P" program switch, the program indicator changes to RED and will brighten. Now press the mouse "B/●" key and the function on "B/●" key is now set back to default. To erase all programmed configurations on your XFPS Commando, simply press the "P" button for 3 seconds until the Receiver Program indicator stops blinking.

There are only a couple of buttons that are not programmable:
    • Mouse: Mouse movement (Up, Down, Left, Right), 180° buttons
    • Commando Controller: Guide/ button and directional buttons.

Lots of Xbox 360 gamers who purchased any of XCM's prior XFPS line that uses mouse and keyboard, have been wanting to use wired headsets and there is only one other product that allowed you to (XCM XFPS Live). With the XFPS Commando, since the Xbox 360 controller is connected to the receiver, you are able to use a wired headset. Your comments and suggestions has been answered!

Of all the XCM products we have reviewed, this may have disappointed me. The quality of the plastic and its construction felt cheap. It doesn't mean it will fall apart or break. It just felt cheap in the hands. The d-pad and buttons on the left hand controller felt mushy. The d-pad didn't have that normal feel found on the PS3 controller. For the suggested retail price of the product, I would have liked to see a bit more quality in the plastic. So as long it works, that's all it matters...I guess.

But what I do like is the fact that the XFPS Commando is upgradeable. You can download the latest updates from XCM here (Windows only). With the latest update 1.2, you are able to use the left analog stick on the Commando controller to function as a Sixaxis by using the analog stick only as Sixaxis controller (Mode 1), analog stick as Sixaxis controller and XY tilt function (front, back, left, right - Mode 2), or analog stick only as XY tilt function (Mode 3). Personally, when it comes to emulating Sixaxis controls, I prefer not to use it as I feel its a gimmick. Note: This works ONLY on games that support Sixaxis controls.

Conclusion : Overall, the XCM XFPS Commando is a "modern" version of a mouse and keyboard. You still have the mouse for aiming and such but the nunchuk now replaces what you would normally do on a keyboard. While the XFPS Commando has a cheap plastic construction feel, the product is still sturdy. The ability to reprogram buttons is a plus as everyone has their own preferred setup and configuration. The multiple 180° buttons is unnecessary and the location is a bad choice and you also can not reprogram the 180° buttons. The wired headset support for the Xbox 360 is a nice addition as not everyone owns a wireless headset or want to go out and purchase one. If there is any updates to the XFPS Commando, it is upgradeable. Unfortunately, the price may deter some potential buyers as it is a bit high.

Images via comments
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

An excellent review. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Ganton; July 8th, 2013 at 15:17.

Nice review...really helpful...Thanks for the share.

Thread Information