Yu Suzuki, the man behind Sega classics Outrun, Virtua Fighter and Shenmue will leave his current job at the company at the end of this year, he's said.

Speaking in an interview with Gamasutra, the legendary designer confirmed he'll remain on as an advisor to Sega.

Suzuki has been working at his own studio, YS Net, in conjunction with his current Sega role for the past three years.

"In 2008 I established YS NET, my current company," he said. "I'll be leaving my current job at Sega this September, and after that point I'll remain on as an advisor."

"So I've formally been with both companies from 2008 until September 2011. With the new company, I've been doing pretty much what I personally want to do myself," Suzuki added.

Suzuki retired from his role at Sega's AM Plus in 2009 to head up the company's Amusement R&D division, where he has been ever since.

Since then he's had an arcade title cancelled and released Shenmue Town, a role-playing game for mobile phones in Japan.

Earlier this month the designer revealed he's working on an unannounced Kinect fighting game, after taking on the role of executive game producer at Tokyo-based Premium Agency.

On the subject of fans' pleas for Shenmue 3, Sega West boss Mike Hayes told CVG this month: "We take the comments from the fans very seriously indeed," although he added that there are "no plans at the moment" for a new Shenmue game on consoles.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...VG-General-RSS