Ubisoft's happy to let EA and Activision fight it out for the FPS crown this Christmas, then bring a much slower tempo to the genre with Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

That's what Ubisoft UK brand manager Matt Benson told OXM, as well as admiring just how much pull the Call of Duty franchise has on gamers.

While distancing the Ubi shooter from Activision and EA's efforts, Benson did suggest that Ghost Recon had been too "dry" in the past and has learnt to be more "intuitive and fun" like its competition with Future Soldier.

"I still play Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, it's still a great online experience with your mates, and we still want that to translate through to Future Soldier. The team have worked really hard to balance that out," said Benson.

"We're not competing directly with Call of Duty and Battlefield, we're not. Let's let those guys duke it out this side of Christmas. For me, post-Christmas, Future Soldier is the kind of game that changes the tempo slightly. It's not a twitch shooter," he added.

"That's probably why the various 11 and 12 year olds who play Call of Duty are so good at it, because they have lightning-fast reflexes an old git like me doesn't have. Whereas Future Soldier is all about teamwork, and building innovations on the battlefield, like the suppression system.

"It's finding the balance between demanding war simulation and Hollywood movie blockbuster," Benson went on. "I've seen the Modern Warfare 3 trailer - it has Michael Bay written all over it, it's great. Huge, cinematic... but with all respect to them, I'd play Call of Duty anyway. We all do! For some people Ghost Recon was just that bit too demanding, and a bit too dry."

You'll be able to sample the tempo of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier when the beta is released in January.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...changes-tempo/