'Rip off' games "is the App Store's thing these days" and clones are an inevitable result of Apple's negligence.

So says Super Meat Boy co-creator Edmund McMillen, who's soon to become the latest victim of a shameless iOS clone called Tobar (trailer below).

"On one side, I feel really flattered. On the other, I dont really care," said McMillen, who surprisingly demonstrates little resentment towards the clone's creator. "[Tobar's creator] admits he was inspired by SMB, but doesn't feel he's copying it, so at the very least I take that as someone was inspired to get into game dev because of SMB, and that's awesome. We all start out emulating things we love, so I take it as a big complement," he adds, humbly, even noting Super Meat Boy's comparison's to Super Mario Bros. games.

But McMillen seems more frustrated with Apple's lack of action against such clones. "Ripping games off seems to be the App Store's thing these days, anyway," he later adds.

"If Angry Birds can totally rip off Crush the Castle and make millions, and then be ripped off by countless clones, without Apple blinking an eye, then why should anyone out there feel like it's wrong to rip off any game ideas? I actually believe there is a clone of everything on that service," said McMillen.

Even a high-profile publisher such as Capcom has been accused of releasing a rip-off iOS title when it launched 'MaXplosion', which boasts a shameless resemblance to Twisted Pixel's XBLA game Splosion Man.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...or-ios-clones/