BioWare has told CVG that Mass Effect 3 will be more "action-adventure-y" than its predecessor.

However, that won't be at the expense of the series' RPG heritage, the studio promises.

ME3 sees Shepard attempting to save the entire galaxy from the violent Reapers by teaming up with different civilizations.

"This is definitely the best chance we have in the series to really break out and go truly blockbuster," BioWare marketing boss David Silverman told CVG.

"It's a natural entry point for new players: giant alien race launches all-out war, you have to rally the forces of the universe to counter and see if you can take them down. That's pretty clear. You don't need to be like: 'Well, what about when I had this love affair?' It's like, who cares? It's all out war!"

He added: "We're hoping for a big hit. It's the best game we've ever made at BioWare Edmonton. The stuff we're doing - making the gameplay more action-adventre-y, making it on a par with some of the best action games you see today, whilst on top of that adding in these RPG elements that maybe people were upset we didn't focus on as much in Mass Effect 2 - it strikes a balance."

When asked whether the game would have more RPG depth than Mass Effect 2, Silverman commented:

"Absolutely. Hands down. We've done a lot of research about what people liked about Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and other games too - what they like about Gears Of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call Of Duty and lots of RPG games too.

"We've looked at all these games to see what's resonating and what's not. On the one hand, we don't want to go too far down the RPG rabbit hole where Shepard starts rolling dice, but on the other hand we don't want to ignore that coolness - where people can customise parts of their character and making them feel that it's them in the adventure. We capitalise on that in spades in ME3."

A demo of Mass Effect 3, which released on 360, PS3 and PC next year, will be with us in a few months.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...re-y-than-me2/