Thread: Pulling GD-ROM data from an HKT-05 Dreamcast GD-X unit

Default Pulling GD-ROM data from an HKT-05 Dreamcast GD-X unit

I hope this post does not violate any forum rules.

Nearly half a year ago, an HKT-05 Dreamcast GD-X Duplicator finally came into my possession. The only information that was known about these units is that they were able to duplicate GD-ROM discs while connected to a maximum of 4 Katana GD-Writers at a time, and they were able to dump GD-ROM data onto an internal SCSI hard drive. Without any manuals or documents of any sort I was unable to use it to its full potential. After many attempts to pull some data, I finally gave up and called it quits.

Today, I decided to program the GD-X Duplicator to dump one last GD-ROM disc, a Dreamcast SYSTEM-DISC 2. After it was done, I removed the SCSI hard drive and connected it directly to an Adaptec 2940U SCSI card connected to my PC. To my success, I was able to view dumped data off of the hard drive!

In approximately 15 minutes, I was able to successfully dump data from a Dreamcast SYSTEM-DISC 2 (nearly 1 GB of data)!

Source: http://www.segakatana.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79

wow nice job.

Dream Coder

Sadly it can only make an image of the entire disc eh? no blank space skipping? Either that or the image is corrupted. We've been able to do this with our Dreamcasts and a BBA for a while .

What you probably should have made sure to do was to check if there were any disc images already on the hard drive before overwriting it. I remember someone found some undiscovered on disc beta games doing that a few years back.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

That is so cool 1gb in 15min beats the hell out of the coders cable (as of what i've heard), let us know if you find any thing like a secret beta. ooh, one last question How much did you pay for it, 500od?

Yeah. The sad thing is that I had formatted the HD because it appeared empty at the time (I never inserted it directly to my PC to try to recover any content). I've already found some source code in a Dreamcast Dev box I received not too long ago. I believe it was named "Chunk_Test."

The files dumped by the GD-X duplicator can be extracted using EXTRACT.EXE. I've attempted to dump a System-Disc 2 and Sonic Adventure Japanese so far, and they were all successful!

I find this method easier for dumping HKT-06 GD-R betas of Dreamcast games...

Thread Information