Thread: homebrew development question

Default homebrew development question

there is a tutorial for dev C++ and i have looked at kallistiOS and i am installing it right now.
    What i want to know is, is there a way to use kallistiOs with dev c++?

also does the dreamcast run native C++ code or some special dreamcast language?

Why i am asking this:

I want to port a fighting game engine to dreamcast
    that is made in C++ with open source. (no not mugen)

Dream Coder

the dreamcast can do C and C++ (as well as python and lua, but those are trickier). there is a dev kit that uses dev c++ and kos 1.2.0 called DCFreeDev, but I would reccomend just getting the "dc dev iso", which is located here: http://www.consolevision.com/?Dreamc...:Under_Windows .

This is easier to get working, uses more modern versions of everything, and is better supported. With that solution, you can use any source editor you want, then all the compiling is done through gcc running on cygwin.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

thank you for taking the time to answer my quetions. Ok i downloaded the rev cd and followed the R2 instructions for installing cygwin and Kos, but for some odd reason it has problems compiling the examples on my system. I tried the example in the r2 post, and it said usleep was undefined.
    and then i tried one of the examples in the kos folder and i got this error:

Undefined reference to '_romdisk'

i checked and double checked and i believe i followed the steps exactly the way they should be done (although nobody is perfect)
    what i need to do so i can get it working?

Also does dreamcast read pictures formats? (more specifically .pcx)
    if not i'll re-write the sprite display code for dreamcast.

Dream Coder

The dreamcast iirc can do jpg, png, gif, pcx, and a few others that I don't recall.

Most of the examples ARE broken =P. usleep should work, but you can replace it with timer_spin_sleep(value/10); and that should do the same thing.

In the most recent version of kos, a lot of the examples were fixed, but that's a complicated process as it involves getting the new sources via svn and compiling them yourself.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

dreamcast iirc? (whats that?)

do you know where i can get working dc examples besides going through that svn stuff?

Dream Coder

iirc = if i recal correctly.

for examples I'd look at just looking for some released program and downloading the sources.

Thread Information