This just in: Microsoft is ready to take the plunge into mobile modernity... at its own pace. During a recent interview with All Things D, Windows Phone President Andy Lees revealed a few details about Redmond's future crop of handsets, which will apparently include both LTE capabilities and dual-core processors. The exec confirmed that LTE-equipped devices are indeed in the pipeline, but declined to specify whether they'd hit the market this year or next. Turns out, Microsoft wants to wait until current LTE networks prove capable of supporting more power-efficient smartphones. "The first LTE phones were big and big [users] of the battery," Lees said. "I think it's possible to do it in a way that is far more efficient, and that's what we will be doing."

Lees was similarly opaque about Microsoft's plans to incorporate dual-core CPUs into its mobile lineup, saying only that they're on the way. According to him, however, even single-core Windows Phones can hold their own against the dual-core competition: "They're all single core, but I suspect that they will be faster in usage than any dual-core phone that you put against it, and that's the point." Lees went on to wax Panglossian about Microsoft's strategy, claiming that the absence of LTE and dual-core processing doesn't necessarily mean that his company is behind the times. "I think that what our strategy is is to put things in place that allow us to leapfrog, and I think that's how we've gone from worse [sic] browser to the best browser," he explained, "and I think the same is true with hardware."

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/10/s...ws-phones-oth/