Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite console controller

Default Your favorite console controller

Well, since the GBA emu topic was being hijacked with discussion about favorite console controllers, I thought I would start this topic to encourage that discussion to continue outside of that topic.

My favorite console controllers would probably be:

Sega Dreamcast
    Sega Genesis

Since I have somewhat large hands, tiny little controllers are not my favorites. To me, the Genesis controller and the Dreamcast controller were the most comfortable for my hands, and the button configurations made the most sense. I hate the PS controllers, and most of the older NES controllers (NES, SNES, etc.) because they are too small for my hands. I practically have to fold my hands over top of each other to play with them. I hate the N64 controller, because the button configuration makes little sense to me.
    I did like the old Atari controllers. They were simple. You had two buttons (maybe even one, depending on how far you go back) and a joystick. That was it. I also kind of dug the old Atari paddles, although they were awfully buggy sometimes.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

Default Re: Your favorite console controller

SNES, perfect pad, never been improved, other than that i think the n64 pad was pretty innovative too.

My fave would have to be the PS2 Dual Shock pad, though I also have a soft spot for the old Megadrive 6 button pad.

As I said in the hijacked thread :

My favorite would have to be the Nintendo 64 controller. It's sturdy, durable, and it fits my hand like a glove.

DCEmu Regular

the dual shock has the most buttons. makeing it hard for other controllers to compare to the amount commands at your finger tips. the dc controller throtle l and r buttons suck for serious fast paced fighters except mvsc2. the 64 and GC controllers have those idiotic misshaped buttons (the z for gc especially) the snes was the best until sony beefed it up with better grips and two more buttons. I bought one of those ps-pc adapters and max payne and bloodrayne kick serious ass. the genesis was the most comfortable but only 3 button and then the completly worthless 6 button that usually were broken right out of the box. and while we are on the subject of crappy controllers IMO pelican and mad cats controller really suck. what ever happened to ASCII yall remember them. snes advantage and that kick ass snes turbo controller with semi and full auto rocker switches for EACH button instead of having to hold the desired button and cycleing through the turbo funtions wondering if it's off or on.

all right i'm not done yet but I think i've flex my joystick knowledge enough for now

p.s. the worst IMO the jaguar controller.

I'm with souLLy.. I really like the SNES pad. I've made a mod to run on PC years ago ;D

I really like the Japanese SEGA Saturn one that was very similar to the SEGA MegaDrive/Genesis 6 Button Controller beside that it added two shoulder buttons like the SNES had.

DualShock1 isn't that bad too *

DualShock2 sucks because of the analog action buttons instead of digital ones! btw: Can you use DS1 with the PlayStation2 without any problems? They aren't that expensive atm but AFAIK they've compatibility issues with some PS2 games ???

I do not think the DC controller is as bad as most say. The digital pad is very well usable after a short time!

The best certainly is the N64 controller because of its amazing innovations though my personal fave currently is the GameCube controller 8)

The analog stick of the official GameCube controller is the best one ever created! It feels just great to play MarioKart or Zelda with it - Perfect that is!

Anyone has a X-Arcade stick? Wanna buy it for my DC/PC but I heard they aren't that good and before I spend my money on such an expensive thing I'd like to hear some opinions...

@Ian: These Competition Pro 2 Joysticks with microswitches one used for AMIGA500... Do they work with my SEGA Master System too? ...I mean it has two buttons but I've never checked it...

PS: The Jaguar controller IS the worst one ever ;D

Chris

DCEmu Regular

thie 3do had two controller for two systems (same hardware different manufacturers) they where pretty much genesis controllers but what was cool was at least the panasonic controllers had there own headphone jack with a volume nob and the real weird thing was that the 3do had only one controller jack and for more joysticks you would daisy chain the joysticks together. that is plug p2 into the p1 controller, p3 into p2, and so on. a real neat innovation. the neo geo was a weird joystick because like everything else for the neo geo they where simply outrageously priced for joysticks.

p.s. the ps2 are pressure sensitive. just check out a game called the bouncer. sort of building off the world heroes system where a tap on the button is a weak attack and if you hold it it's a strong attack. but instead of tapping out morse code the ps2 can "throttle" to a limited degree. if this is digital or analog I don't know and don't care.

@Chris - I don't know if you can use the DualShock1 without any problems, but I know you can use it with very few problems. My stepson only has one DS2 controller, so whenever we play any two player games, I always use the DS1 controller.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

8) Great news! They're pretty cheap atm! And I do have a PS1&2-to-GC and a PS1&2/DC/SAT-to-PC converter - I think I'll get some PS1 DS1 controller as they don't have these anoying analog action buttons...

Thank you, Curt

Chris

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information