Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: PSX-P Beta 1 Released - Playstation Emulator for PSP

DCEmu Coder

He got PCSX, which is open source and GPL, modified some part of it, and released without the modified source code.

The GPL is a license that says "if you release an executable you must release the source code as well".

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

GPL means the source code has to be released with the binaries

thats the main problem, not the crediting

I see, and thanks for the summary Tinnus.

But let`s give them a little more time to release the source before we pounce on them.

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Denny
    I see, and thanks for the summary Tinnus.

But let`s give them a little more time to release the source before we pounce on them.
    The GPL states that every binary must be accompanied either by a source code release, or a legally-binding offer to get the source code. This means when it is released, not three weeks later (or any time later for that matter).

The author of this emulator did neither (and so far has shown no intention of releasing the source that goes with this binary).
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

Quote Originally Posted by silver32
    why? The open source community is going to brake your houses's door and kill you?
    No, because I don't like to break the law and in all intents and purposes that's what this is doing.

DCEmu Coder

Interesting that linuzappz, the original author of PCSX, could take him to court over that.

Now that would be some show to see

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrab
    The GPL states that every binary must be accompanied either by a source code release, or a legally-binding offer to get the source code. This means when it is released, not three weeks later (or any time later for that matter).

The author of this emulator did neither (and so far has shown no intention of releasing the source that goes with this binary).
    I see, and i agree.

But being someone who doesn`t get into the technical side of this scene i`m never really interested in anything other than the projects progress, download the project and thanking the creator. I think i`ll leave this discussion to people who know what there talking about.

Tinnus bro thanks a lot i will look forward to your future
    work but there a little Problem im just getting the .nrg save format what should i do and and my last question is do u need two disc tray in order to copy image

Dream Coder

edit: d'oh, didn't see bluecrab's post and repeated the whole 'offer of source' thing

Quote Originally Posted by dejkirkby
    No, because I don't like to break the law and in all intents and purposes that's what this is doing.
    I meant to reply to it earlier, but if every member of this site were like you, then the "give the author a chance to release the source" method would work beautifully, as the members would respect the law once the download is taken down.

kudos to you.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by quzar
    I meant to reply to it earlier, but if every member of this site were like you, then the "give the author a chance to release the source" method would work beautifully, as the members would respect the law once the download is taken down.

kudos to you.
    There are more people out there like me, but unfortunately we are outnumbered by the people who want something for nothing, regardless of the legalities.

Thread Information