Thread: Microsoft will cripple PCs running pirated copies of Vista

Blog Entries

Forum Microsoft will cripple PCs running pirated copies of Vista

We all thought that Microsoft was asking for trouble when the company announced previously that it would be including all the versions of Windows Vista on a single DVD, setting the stage for those in the know to crack the disc and save themselves some cash by installing Ultimate when they likely bought (ok, probably pirated via BitTorrent) a Vista DVD. Well, Microsoft has fired the first salvo in this war on pirates -- according to The Associated Press, the Redmond crew will be taking "much harsher steps to curtail piracy" than in years past. First, the company will "deny access" to some of the "most anticipated features," including Windows Aero, the new GUI. Then, Vista will start issuing ransom demands (we're not kidding about this part), demanding that a legitimate copy be bought within 30 days, or else. What would such consequences entail? How about limiting Web access to an hour at a time? Further, what about not being able to open documents from the desktop or "run other programs such as Outlook e-mail software" ? However, the article goes on to say: "Microsoft said it won't stop a computer running pirated Vista software from working completely, and it will continue to deliver critical security updates." So for those of you keeping score, Microsoft wants to make using your computer as miserable as possible, while keeping it as "safe" as possible, ok? Now, if we were betting types, we'd guess that the odds are pretty favorable that this anti-piracy measure will be defeated just as fast as PlaysForSure was.

oh god,lol well that is a good thing so people can buy the original..........

Funny

lol $#@! im in trouble.....

jks i got factory xp home

I think it's good that Microsoft is trying. If CD companies protected all their CDs, there would be no pirated copies. But NOOOOOOOO, it's all about profits profits profits...

You've gotta love the creative methods.

save yourself some trouble:
    Install linux.
    Much lighter hardware requirements.

This sucks, I don't want to buy Vista until I buy my new computer (which won't be for like 2 years.) I was hoping that a pirated copy of Vista would hold over until I bought my new computer and a legal copy of Vista.

Well, hopefully the RC1 version I have now will hold me over. I didnt want to buy it until i got an upgrade in ram. But hey, I might just have the money sooner than I thought anyway. No pirating for me.

This leads me to a story though. I have a recovery partition on my hard drive right. Well, I had several trojans and hundreds of spyware files on my computer. I decided I would format my hard drive then reinstall windows from the recovery partition.

Well, afterwards (about 3 hours later) I was booting into my brand new install, and microsoft tells me I pirated it. They thought my computer was a different one than it was. That got me, but there seems to be no limitations on it. It just made me mad that they say do that.
    http://one.revver.com/watch/170516
    http://one.revver.com/watch/167200

Please click the links above to watch my stick figure animations,
    and please, if you have the time, click the ads at the end to earn me some money.

Quote Originally Posted by NoQuarter
    save yourself some trouble:
    Install linux.
    Much lighter hardware requirements.
    Amen.

Thread Information